HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Who has daily battery dumps or recals?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 04:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Who has daily battery dumps or recals?

CA seems to be the only place with dealers that are standing up for their customers.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:26 AM
mpk
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wood511
CA seems to be the only place with dealers that are standing up for their customers.
I hope you're right, I'm in California. Maybe it is because the battery warranty is so long here, there is no way the software update will limp along until the warranty ends.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:15 AM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

Some of the same issues here on my 2007 HCHII with 92k miles. I bought it in Cali but am now in Florida. I won't repost my whole thread, but here is the link. I'm have the ability to be the Dealership's worst nightmare if it has to go that far. Let's hope it doesn't have to.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Enthusiast

AJR,

I feel the same way. I have some time on my hands and am sufficiently pissed to start finding a way to make them deal with this or suffer some sales. I thought about picketing the dealer. Turns out I can HIRE a guy to do that for very cheap...hand out flyers w/my story and the LA Times article, point to additional reading etc...

I know it's not explicitly the dealer, but they are all we really have access to outside of the courts. If the dealer starts suffering because people are seeing a disgruntled guy out front, maybe they will pass it up the chain that something needs to be done.

Hitting them on a big sale weekend would especially hurt.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Enthusiast

After the latest software update, my car went from almost daily recals to multiple recals per day. My mpg dropped from 48 to 42. I did not trust my 2006 HCH with 129,000 miles. I felt the IMA battery could go at anytime. I traded it in for a 2010 Prius III. I get 20% better fuel economy. I'm very disappointed with Honda.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:13 PM
mpk
Enthusiast

I took it back in. They said that there was a newer update that came out soon after I got mine. They applied the update, and reinitialized the system. Things have improved greatly, but I'm still getting recals about one every 100 miles or so. I'm going to see how it goes, but during the recal, there is no hybrid boost. Not a comfortable place to be.

Originally Posted by currieep
After the latest software update, my car went from almost daily recals to multiple recals per day. My mpg dropped from 48 to 42. I did not trust my 2006 HCH with 129,000 miles. I felt the IMA battery could go at anytime. I traded it in for a 2010 Prius III. I get 20% better fuel economy. I'm very disappointed with Honda.
If you don't mind my asking, what did they give you on trade in? Regular KBB wholesale, or did they make you a deal?

Old 10-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast

I shopped around to quite a few area Toyota dealers in Michigan. Several dealers were offering below KBB. Some of them were even below national wholesale and I only know that because they showed me the auction reports. Most dealers were only willing to give $5,000 - $6,000 in trade. Fortunately, I found a dealer that gave me $8,500 in trade which is $2,000 over excellent KBB. Along with the trade, they sold me the car just below invoice. Of course, with the recalls earlier this year and gas under $3/gallon, it was a perfect time to strike a deal on a 2010 Prius. Most dealers have an overstock and I believe the 2011 Prius release date has been delayed.

I did have several dealers ask if I had been experiencing mpg issues. They were very aware of the battery and software concerns.

Over a 2 year span and 2 - 3 software updates, my 2006 HCH recals went from once every month, to once every couple of days, to several times per day immediately following the latest update.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

currieep,

We went for a (short) test drive in a 2010 Prius last night. My impression in 25 words or less:

If they could put the Prius technology in a Civic that would be a very desirable combination.

For me the Prius downsides were in a lot of little details:

1. The mini-joystick shifter.

2. The park button.

3. The Emergency/Parking brake pedal: design, size, location.

4. The center console ski jump.

5. The mini-monitor charge/assist display.

6. Plastic wheel covers over aluminum alloy rims.

7. The look and feel of the dash and door panel plastic.

8. The tacked-on looking covers over fog light openings.

9. The key "fob" and start button.

All I know, getting back in our '06 HCHII, I had a new respect it's "regular car" guise, at-hand controls, fit/finish and big/bold gauges. Nothing absolutely turned me off about the Prius, and I'm sure any new car feels strange, but the Prius seemed extra disjointed and discombobulated, to me.

How did you find the transition? Like getting new shoes, ie: they chafe for a bit, but you settle in eventually?

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 10-20-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Enthusiast

That is a very good question. I immediately liked the 2010 Prius better. Actually, several of the items you listed as downsides, I like them - Mini trans shifter, Push button Park, Center console, etc. The Prius has some technology typically found in high end luxury cars. Below are some of my favorite features.

1. You can touch the driver's door handle to unlock and touch the upper front part of the driver's door handle to lock the car. You can keep your key fob in your pocket the whole time. You can also push a button on the side of the key fob to have an actual key come out.

2. The charge/assist display. I agree that at initial glance it can seem very overwhelming compared to HCHII display. After less than 2 days, I found the gauges very easy to read and much more informative. I monitor the same things and more compared to my old HCHII.

3. The steering wheel controls for radio, temp, etc. have heat sensors and will pop on on the main display.

4. All hybrids have a lot of plastic. My old HCHCII had a lot of plastic rattling. My old HCHII glove box was the worse sound. The Prius is very quiet.

5. There is a lot more room on the interior of the Prius Vs. HCHII

6. The seats are way more comfortable! I don't think I could stress that enough.

7. Large moonroof. Not sure if a moonroof is an option for the HCHII yet.

8. The fuel economy is much higher. You can drive all electric at much higher speeds and longer durations than HCHII.

All in all, the Prius was a very easy to settle into and I would definitely recommend one over a HCHII.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:53 AM
mpk
Enthusiast

Congrats on your Prius gen 3. I sometimes wonder if I should have gone this route to begin with

Which KBB figure did they use? I'm guessing they used the wholesale/trade in value, which is much lower than retail (the sell it yourself figure)

8. The fuel economy is much higher
It is higher, for sure. Synergy is a stronger hybrid than IMA. One thing to look out for is that Toy tends to over estimate the mpg on their display. The gas pump calculator figure is the one to go with Even then, it will be higher than HCH2.

Last edited by mpk; 10-21-2010 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Who has daily battery dumps or recals?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands