HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Why am I getting shocked when I exit the car?

Old 03-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why am I getting shocked when I exit the car?

I seem to recall some aftermarket accessory from years ago which was to help this condition. It was some type of strip or wire that would drag on the ground to discharge the static. Don't have a clue what it was made of, though I'd suspect some type of mylar film which would "fly" above the ground when the car was moving but touch ground when stopped. I also have no idea if it worked! Can't imagine it would last long enough (from wear in touching the pavement) to make it worthwhile.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by Flash
Partially correct - it was only discovered that the women were more "dangerous" in the MythBuster's study because they often get back into the car for their purse or cell phone or tissues or gum or anything while the men usually have their wallet with them, their cell phone with them, etc.
Flash why am I "Partially correct"? How is what you said any different from what I already said? Seems to me we agree.
Originally Posted by lakedude
They did a study shown on Mythbusters and young females are the most likely to get burned up because they tend to re-enter their car and get a static charge on them. When they touch the pump the spark ignites the gas. Men tend not to get back in the car and old people tend to grab the car (to give themselves a boost) safely discharging the static...

Last edited by lakedude; 03-04-2007 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Adding my quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lakedude
Flash why am I "Partially correct"? How is what you said any different from what I already said? Seems to me we agree.
I wanted to make it clear that we aren't saying the females are causing fires simply because they get in and out of the car (the Mythbuster's test was to try and create sparks with nylon on seat and sweatpant material being rubbed on a glass rod and such) but none of this really created any hazardous situation. The folks came to the conclusion that in reviewing the video from gas stations that the females were getting back into and out of the car more often than not for their cell phone and purse and things. I've gotten back into the car to get some paper to write down my FE numbers, get out of the car to check the oil, get back into the car, get back out of the car, and have never made a fire. The issue is when you get in the car, grab the phone, get out of the car without touching the door, and grab the gas handle and I think the conclusion was that folks on the phone don't ground themselves first. We said the same thing but it isn't purely because the females re-enter the car.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:32 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

As a fellow NY'er, don't worry. We've had our HCH2 for almost a year now, and the static will go away in the summer. (Strangely, it always seems worse for the passenger.)

Old 04-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Enthusiast

I can't believe that I have never added to this post before. This zapping stuff has bugged me since I bought the car last October. I, too, thought it would go away...but it hasn't. And it looks like I am not the only one experiencing this. I sort of think Honda should figure out what is making this happen, and correct it.

The way that I have gotten used to dealing with it - is in the way I exit the car. When I begin to stand up, I rock my lower leg until it touches the bottom of the door well. I have done it sooooo many times now, that it has become second nature. The jolt doesn't seem to be anywhere near as strong as the ones that make you jump when you get it on the hand.

Anyway, glad to see that I am not loosing my mind and that I haven't somehow become super-charged.