HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Enthusiast
Default Window Tinting

I have read a few threads about window tint and the HCH, but need a bit more specific advice.

Does the metallic type tints mess up or interfere with the HCH navigation system's signal even with the antenna mounted on the rear roof? What about cell phone reception or AM radio signals? I plan on tinting the sides and rear windows - no front window strip.

One shop has said they are now installing a newer hybrid metal tinting that will not interfere with outside signals. Any one else here of something like this? Just looking to see if I can save a few dollars by not having to install a ceramic based tint.

Thanks

Last edited by GreenTweek; 07-10-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Aspiring Hypermiler
Default Re: Window Tinting

The roof antenna on the HCC-II provides reception for the satellite radio and over the air AM/FM radio reception. No window tints should interfere with the reception through the roof antenna.

The GPS navigation system antenna is mounted inside the dash in the cars interior. Window tints possibly could interfere with GPS reception through the dash antenna. However, I have 3M window tint (non-metalic tint) on my HCC-II and have not experienced any interference with the GPS navigation reception whatsoever.

I selected the 3M tint product specifically because 3M stated that it's automotive tint product will not interfere with GPS or radio reception. Therefore I strongly suggest you do your homework before selecting a tint product for your HCH. I hope this is helpful.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Enthusiast

I'm going to get my HCHII tinted in a couple of weeks and have been trying to find out what product to use. I don't have a NAV system but was also concerned about radio, cell phones keyless entry etc.

There are a lot of people out there warning about such things but I had trouble deciding if it was just misinformation. I found some info that said metallic tints can interfere with AM radio reception. I found lot's of posts from people with metallic tints and no problems with anything.

I'm getting tinted through my Honda dealer and they said they'll use Sun-Gard Shadow tint, it's non-metallic and has a limited lifetime warranty:
http://www.sun-gard.com/products.asp?section=auto

Old 07-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. I thought about going with just dyed tint, but am looking to get more heat rejection than the dyed tints appear to offer.

Thanks for the info on where the GPS antenna is located. I now may go with the hybrid dyed/metallic tint. With the GPS antenna in the dash and with the over all design of the dash and front window, I think there should be plenty of area for the antenna to acquire the GPS signals. Most of the GPS signal problems I have read about were caused from the AM antenna being located within the back window or GPS antenna being located inside and in back with metalized tin on the back window.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:11 PM
Enthusiast

Finally got around to getting my HCH tinted today. Went with the Solar Gard HP series. It is a metallized tint. GPS, Cell Phone, and radio signals have not been affected. Had the front doors done in 35%, rear doors and back window done in 20%. $160 total at the local tint shop. I could feel the solar rejection immediately after driving off. Hopefully this will now keep my A/C use down even more.

I am also very pleased with the new look my HCH has and highly recommend it.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This thread is useless without pics!!

Old 08-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noflash
This thread is useless without pics!!
Pics to follow then.