HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Would you get the Navi version HCH or non Navi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Would you get the Navi version HCH or non Navi?

Hi All,

I am going to buy my HCH 2007 tomorrow. I am debating if I should get the Navi version or the Non Navi.

Price difference is about $1600! From what I have researched, there is no difference between the two version except for that Navigation and PC Card and XM.

I have a Blackberry that I use for Navi anyways in my current car...that too mainly for Live traffic views. I would continue to use that cause I do not think Civic version has link to real time traffic maps.

Anyways, is there any other significant difference to justify the $1,600 price tag?

I am usually not lost and I know the roads well in Los Angeles.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Would you get the Navi version HCH or non Navi?

That's a tough decision that you will have to live with. It seems like you do not need it, since you already have a navigation w/ traffic. The in-car navi has things like voice control and altimeter. Personally, I do not think it justifies the $1,600. Especially if you already have a good navigation and know the roads well.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have the Navi and I like it... but if you already have something else, I guess you should save the $$$. Quick question... does your blackberry have voice prompts? I really like the voice prompts that the Navi gives... and you can also talk to it for hands-free directions. Things like "find nearest Chinese restaurant" work really well... as long as your background noise isn't too high.

I have a real problem with folks who are driving distracted with gadgets and cell phones... so if the Navi helps you stay focused on the roads instead of pressing tiny blackberry buttons, then the Navi might still be a worthwhile choice!!!

Old 12-03-2007, 04:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

GPS is only worth $1,600 if you make frequent trips to cities with which you're unfamiliar. If you stay in L.A. all the time, don't get it.

Also, I had XM radio for years in my previous Honda. It was good for my out-of-state road trips, and the channel selection was interesting at first.

However, after the first year, I noticed that the nostalgia channels (60s, 70s, 80s) have frustratingly limited play lists -- very few of the obscure tunes that made each decade interesting. I'm guessing they only play the annual top 40 from each year. So from each decade, you get 400 songs. After a year, you've heard them all. It gets old.

Also, XM didn't offer a true Album Oriented Rock channel. They had some kind of nostalgia rock channel, but it didn't match the old AOR radio stations of the 70s and 80s.

So grew tired of satellite radio rather quickly. I chose to skip the Navi option on my HCH, and I don't regret it.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

The navigation software isn't that great, with some truly illogical paths computed sometimes. Its database of addresses is also unbelievably bad (can't locate a Wal-mart within 500 miles of me, despite there being at least 3 within a 15 minute radius).

Verizon's EZ Navigator software (which my girlfriend has on her phone) is much better. I'm sure the same could be said for the other GPS products out there too.

Having said that, I'm still relatively happy I went for it. I'm all about satellite radio (hoping XM and Sirius merge so I can get Stern; either that or pick up the adapter), and the larger display makes it easier to see artist and song title. And despite its flaws, I do find myself using the navigation with success most of the time.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Features like navigation are probably best served with portable and exchangeable devices. If you're looking at long-term ownership, then being captive to one solution will either cost you more in updates or annoy you as the product ages and falls into obsolescence. Before navigation (I use an all-in-one portable from tomtom whenever I need it), I used the same argument on iPod integration with cars. Why limit yourself with a proprietary interface (the dock connector) so that you can control your iPod through the radio, when you could get a universal 3.5mm auxiliary jack that will work with practically any portable audio device? Yeah, elegant solutions are nice, but so is having the freedom to change your options without having to change your car. Especially in the electronics world, where generations turn over up to 10 times faster than cars.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Enthusiast

Hey Thanx guys.

I am going to save my $1,600 and maybe get an extended warranty instead.

As for my blackberry, I do not think it has voice prompts. Personally, I do not care for it since I only use it for real time traffic maps. Its a Godsend in that department.

I use Google Mobile Maps which has the traffic. That can be downloaded to any mobile device as long as you have data package from your cell provider.

You could use Yahoo Go Maps too if you want. I think that too has traffic.

My Google Maps combined with Beyond411 with GPS is a perfect solution. I totally love it. Though Google Maps does give out wrong traffic info lately(have to email them to see what's up!).

Thanx everyone for saving me $1,600. I am still surprised at the price for just getting Navi/XM/Voice Prompts. They should have thrown in leather seats, 6-disc changer, fog lights to make it a worthwhile upgrade.

I don't have Ipod(can you believe that???? ), but I will be burning MP3 CDs. I think that is a better deal for me since different family members are gonna drive the car. They can all have their own MP3 cds rather then buying 4 different MP3 players. (Playlists don't work cause my dad won't know what to do)

Old 12-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast

You can pick up a TomTom or Garmin portable GPS for a couple of hundred bucks. You will be able to keep it when you change cars. You can also take it on a plane trip and use it in your rental car. These units have had such an incredible price drop recently, I don't understand why the built-in navi systems haven't dropped too.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

46jimbo,
The built in one have not dropped in price due to customer integration expectations.

Customer are blasted with news reports of external GPS unit being stolen from cars all the time. The integrated unit makes it harder for criminals to steal since it is not as simple as breaking a window and running...

Also, there isn't much push in the industry to offer better features / nicer detailed screens because there isn't enough people not opting for this option.

Biggest mistake Acura made was removing Bose audio from their cars to use Panasonic becuase they offer in dash nav.....

Old 12-03-2007, 02:25 PM
HypoFueler

I went with non navi.

Hung old garmin i5 to right vent as dash space at a premium - works fine. If I did it over again, might have sprung for a portable gps/mp3 combo.

Enjoy your new ride!

Quick Reply: Would you get the Navi version HCH or non Navi?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands