Old Marketplace Archive This section is closed to new listings.

FS: 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid - Houston,TX

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast
Lightbulb FS: 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid - Houston,TX

Hello all,

I'm new to GreenHybrid.com. I have owned a Civic Hybrid since '03 and I love it, but I'm offering it for sale since my wife and I just had a baby and I might need something a little bigger.

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid
White with beige interior
MP3 input adapter to stero.
Manual Transmission
approx 68,000 miles (almost all highway).

PM me or see my add on Cars.com if you're interested.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/fsbo_s...liate=national

Thanks
Tom

Old 08-31-2006, 06:37 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FS: 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid - Houston,TX

Where did you get the MP3 adapter, how much did it cost, was it easy to install??? My son would be forever grateful if he could find a way to hook up his MP3 to the stereo.
Thanks!!

Old 08-31-2006, 06:47 AM
Enthusiast

I bought one of these Aux input to RCA converters (http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehon98aux.html), then went to Radio Shack an bought an RCA-1/8" stereo Y adapter cable. I had the Aux input cable installed to the back of my stock stereo head unit and now I select CD Changer on the stereo, plug in my MP3 player and play the tunes through the speakers. It works so much better than the FM transmitter, since Houston has a very crowded FM band.

I also had to put in a ground switch in because my MP3 player ran of batteries. If I used the Cigarette lighter adapter, I wouldn't have to ground it, but I added the switch just in case. I can't find the info on the ground switch on the LogJam site, so you may have to search around for it.

I'm not a car stereo guy, so I just took it to local car stereo/alarm shop and had it installed for like $50.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Tom !

Old 03-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Enthusiast

I wonder if I could do the same thing, even though I don't have a disc changer?

Old 10-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Enthusiast

This was a while ago, but does anyone know if I could do what the man did above, if I don't have a disc changer?

Old 03-11-2020, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast

This thread is O-L-D but I just added an aux port to my HCH1 with a simple wiring loom from Amazon.

My head unit has a working single disk player but the cd changer was hung up internally, so I just replaced it with the storage cubby from a junkyard car (need to keep the plastic screws from the junkyard because cd changer uses bolts which aren't interchangeable).Thr job was pretty simple, complicated only by replacing the cd changer.

Straight forward removing the dash panel and plugging the aux harness in where the changer was unplugged (if you have no cd changer it might be possible to reach up and plug the adapter in with only the lower cigarette lighter panel removed, and the auxiliary tape player unit has an empty port which will accept the plug too). I bought a through panel adapter for the aux cable and cobbled together a stock looking port in one of the switch delete panels beside the cigarette lighter. It looks great and sounds pretty good. If you're comfortable taking apart interior panels then this is literally just a plug and play project.

Extra info:
​​​There's a way to cobble the aux cable into the cd changer wiring harness but I couldn't get the connector disassembled to make it a clean enough install for my own standards. In essence the head unit needs to sense something plugged into the aux port to accept the input signals, so leaving the old changer in place does the trick. On the adapter cable is a small box which does the same trick, and I would've been more persistent with the cd changer had mine still been working.

Through panel mounted to switch delete, soldered to female cable.

CD changer connector before giving up on disassembly.

None of these methods allows for control of the phone from the head unit, only in newer models is there an option for this but not the HCH1. I'm happy to provide any insight from my experience if you're planning to tackle this little project. In it's simplest for this could be less than 30 minutes as a project.