Old Marketplace Archive This section is closed to new listings.

Local Hybrid Rental

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Enthusiast
Question Local Hybrid Rental

Hopefully this is the right section for this....

Has anyone ever heard of the idea of renting out your Hybrid to others for a weekend, if you have no plans of using it?

Maybe I am way off on this idea, but I plan on taking a long road trip in november to the west coast from WI and would love to be able to take a hybrid instead of my gas guzzler there.

Has this been thought of before or even worth it? Would most hybrid owners think this is insane because they don't want others putting miles on their car?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:38 AM
Default Re: Local Hybrid Rental

I think that most people that have hybrids use them on a daily basis. It isn't the kind of car you have sitting in your parking lot while you take another (for the most part).

It sounds like an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how many hybrids would be available to rent out.

Old 08-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Enthusiast

Oh I would definitely assume most hybrid owners drive them everyday, but maybe they flew out for the week somewhere and had there car at home just sitting there.

That's when I thought, well instead of having their hybrid just sit there, maybe let someone else reap the amazing benefits of them while earning some cash for nothing.

Maybe I was just hoping someone here would find this interesting and let me pay them for my trip in November, haha.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I'd let you rent my Vette before I'd let you rent the hybrid, and no you can't rent the Vette.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Enthusiast

That's quite fine. Unfortunately not everyone can afford a hybrid and my 15 min test drives just aren't enough to get me somewhere, so if someone is interested or has a friend that will for sure be out of town in Nov and won't be using their hybrid, let me know.

Otherwise oh well, I just wanted to get looks from everyone on my trip out west anyways, hah.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I imagine this might have some insurance implications that might be complicated. I think that car rental companies really should look into offering hybrids, though.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Vegetarian

I'm way to attatched to my car to even imagine renting it to anyone. I know there are some actual rental places that offer hybrids, though I don't know who or where they are. If you search I'm sure you'll find something.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

It would have to be a car rental company. Most people would not be comfortable just renting a total stranger their car. You don't know anything about them, how good a driver they are, etc. If they totalled your car it could be a pain in the *** even if they were insured.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:59 AM
Enthusiast

I can definitely see why most people wouldn't be up for it, but I wonder if there was some kind of company these hybrid owners could go through to feel more comfortable, hmm I guess its only a dream.

Well there are a few places that rent hybrids, but unfortunately I believe you have to be 25 to rent them, not quite there. Oh well, I can only hope a friend or family member decides to buy one in the near future.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I was able to rent a car when I was 20, just for a weekend. It wasn't the world's easiest thing to do- my dad had to add some coverage to his car insurance, which I was a secondary driver for, and then fax proof of the insurance to the car rental company, plus I had to pay two extra fees- one for being under 25 and another for being under 21. But I managed it. Since it was only three days, it didn't actually add up to as huge a bill as you might imagine it would. I had to drive from college to a friend's wedding, so it was worth it to me.

Whether you could go through all this trouble AND rent a hybrid, I don't know. It was hard enough when I had no particular car preference. But doable. If you feel strongly enough about it, you should call a few places and at least see how much it would cost.

Quick Reply: Local Hybrid Rental

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands