2008 Vue "Service Hybrid System" problem, looking for information

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 Saturn Vue "Service Hybrid System" problem, looking for information

I am hoping that someone out there has had a similar experience to what I am about to describe and can save me some time trying to figure out what to do.

I bought a super-clean used 2008 Saturn Vue Hybrid last August. It had about 125k miles on it. I use it 50/50 with my Tacoma. It ran decent since then, except I was never that impressed with the gas mileage. Yesterday after running errands in town without any problems, I got on the freeway for the 20 mile drive home. During the drive I noticed that the engine and battery lights had come on. I also noticed that the charge/discharge gauge was not moving. It was stuck in the middle. By the time I got to my driveway the "Service Hybrid System" message was appearing, and when I made the last turn into my parking spot the "Traction Control System (?)" message was appearing too. I turned the engine off and then tried to restart the car. It did not start, there was a lot of clicking from the instrument panel, the charge gauge was vibrating against the charging side, and the "Service Hybrid System" message was still there. The next morning I tried starting the car again. It started like normal. Same messages though. Turned it off and tried again. It did not start. Same symptoms. I removed the covers over the 12V battery, disconnected the leads and put a charger on it for a couple of hours. I put everything back and tried restarting the car. It started fine. No messages. I drove it around the block and the engine light came back on. Then the battery light. Then the "Service Hybrid System" message came on. Plus the "Check Tire Pressure Sensors" message came on. I parked it in the driveway. I do not trust driving it anywhere at this point.

My questions are...

Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so, what was the cause and solution?

What are the range of possibilities for these symptoms? Other online forums forecast doom and gloom and huge expenses.

Are there any simple things to check, or possible easy do-it-yourself solutions to try before bringing it to a GM dealer?

If this winds up being too expensive to repair, I am going to have to wait until I have funds in the future. What a disappointment.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited by GQinABQ; 07-12-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Vue "Service Hybrid System" problem, looking for information

It could be a communication wire issue with all the odd stuff. Unfortunately when you disconnected the 12V battery you lost all the stored codes and Freeze Frame data associated with them.

With the warnings comming back there are now new codes. The codes are what you need to get in order to begin the diagnosis process.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:06 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info...

The same symptoms still persist so I bet that the error codes will be regenerated. Hopefully. Do you know if code readers you mentioned available to the public or just to Saturn/GM dealerships? And if they are available, are the error codes for this vehicle viewable online?

One piece of info I neglected to include in my original post was that after I recharged the 12V battery and drove around the block, the Hybrid battery charge/discharge gauge still did not move. It was centered in the middle even during acceleration and braking.

Thanks again.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The "general" codes are able to be read even at "big-box" auto parts stores.

The Freeze Frame data and "Special Functions" are NOT available away from dealer.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Enthusiast

I found someone with a code reader and he checked my car for me. The error code came up as "P0A92". I was told it meant a "power balance malfunction" owing to a battery current sensor problem or a Hybrid generator problem. Several sophisticated tests are now needed to determine the true cause.

I have never been down this road before, but I have a feeling that the remedy is going to be expensive.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast

friendly advice,service your timing and the balance shaft/water pump chains if there still original parts,timing chain breaks you warp nearly all the intake and exhaust valves.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

rockytop64 did you have any warning that the chain had stretched and was needing replacement?
Typically an engine will have a noticeable tick when the timing chain starts to stretch and get lose...............

Old 06-28-2019, 02:37 PM
Enthusiast

hello my service hybrid systems came on and the battery gauge not working took to the shop and they put it o the machine. I got p0010 code with has something to do with the camshaft actuator. Now would that cause my hybrid system to mess up?