First tire dead at under 11,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 10:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default First tire dead at under 11,000 miles

I noticed the front RHS tire outer side 2" is pretty much bald now. The rest are looking like they've got, perhaps, another 10K at most in them. Now, you may say, surely this is my fault for improper maintenance and not keeping up the alignment - au contraire - Saturn did the alignment around 6000 miles ago in case the poor MPG were because of it. Looking at the wear pattern, it really can't help fuel economy if we're essentially dragging a front tire slightly sideways.

As to the others - I'd say we're looking at 20K tires at best - especially good news as we're moving into the rainy season here in California. Wow - fabulous - what a smart buy I made....

More to add to my dissatisfaction.

So what's everyone else seeing?

Old 09-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: First tire dead at under 11,000 miles

Originally Posted by OurGL
I noticed the front RHS tire outer side 2" is pretty much bald now. The rest are looking like they've got, perhaps, another 10K at most in them. Now, you may say, surely this is my fault for improper maintenance and not keeping up the alignment - au contraire - Saturn did the alignment around 6000 miles ago in case the poor MPG were because of it. Looking at the wear pattern, it really can't help fuel economy if we're essentially dragging a front tire slightly sideways.

As to the others - I'd say we're looking at 20K tires at best - especially good news as we're moving into the rainy season here in California. Wow - fabulous - what a smart buy I made....

More to add to my dissatisfaction.

So what's everyone else seeing?
The wear on my Generals are hardly nothing at 9k miles. I have had troubles before with having front-end alignments at dealerships! I had my Kia Spectra 5 in 4 times and they kept saying everything was correct. I finally took it to a local front end and tire place nad they got it straight. I'm hoping that's not the case with Saturn as I just put mine in the shop this morning for the harness, ignition switch sticking and to have the alignment checked. It pulls to the right a little and the steering wheel is cocked slightly to the left. I had the tires rotated at 6k and wanted to have my tire guys check the alignment then. They said they didn't have the software upgrade for the 07 Vues and I would have to take it to the dealer. I've got my fingers crossed that they don't make it even worse.

Your case sounds pretty dramatic. I would guess those should be at least 35k tires. I feel your pain, my piece o' !#@!@#$ Kia made me feel the same way and I never got over it even after the front end thing got fixed. That thing would eat a set of $200 apiece tires every 20k.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: First tire dead at under 11,000 miles

23,000+ miles and the tires look brand new. Excellent tread depth and no excessive wear. I should be able to get 60,000 miles.

To OurGL - sorry you have had so much trouble. I have been following several threads on Edmunds.com and there is a person who maybe able to assist you with the Hybrid Vue.

Email:kyle.1.johnson@gm.com
Name: Kyle Johnson
Bio: Communications Director for Saturn

He seems to be willing to help Hybrid Vue owners who have been getting poor mpg, the run around from the dealer and have exhausted all options. You might as well give him a try.

Good Luck

Old 09-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: First tire dead at under 11,000 miles

Latest on the tires. Both front toes had been set way off so inclined inwards trashing the outsides. No idea if this contributes to our poor MPG's but the next few fillups may indicate one way or another. New tires now on. I guess one shouldn't always trust the dealer to do it right the first time.

As to the ignition key barrel, apparently Saturn insists they be lubed first, then waits to replace with the improved part. Around 80% come back in inconveniencing the owners. The speculation from the disgusted service guy was they don't want to issue a recall (bad publicity) and they don't have enough parts on hand to do it right the first time. Saturn Corporate know these things all have a problem yet don't care about trying the patience of the owners. What a concept.

Last edited by OurGL; 12-16-2007 at 01:21 PM.