Get your name on the waiting list

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 09:56 AM
Engineering first
Wink Get your name on the waiting list

Hi,

I just called my local Saturn dealer and asked the saleman to my name on the list for when they get one of the hybrids in. The best answer to FUD is 'hands on.'

You know they will let you test drive it. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

Old 08-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: Get your name on the waiting list

Oddly enough, the car that DOES have a waiting list is the Honda FIT. In Baltimore, the dealer I go to for service on my HCH can't keep them in stock

Old 08-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If only the FIT had a proper final drive ratio, as in the CVT version that has yet to be brought to the US. But we're talking about the View.

Let us know how it goes, Bob. Got a color picked out?

Old 08-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by brick
If only the FIT had a proper final drive ratio, as in the CVT version that has yet to be brought to the US. But we're talking about the View.

Let us know how it goes, Bob. Got a color picked out?
I read that Honda went with 5AT instead of CVT so that it could be equipped with paddle shifters. I can't buy one until 12/2007 when the payments are up on my HCH. But I've already got the whole config picked out: Milano red, 5MT, sport edition, with sport grille. It'll be great!

My partner wants a Prius, so we'll still have a hybrid in the family.

By 2008, maybe Honda will decide to make the Fit as a hybrid (since the Insight propulsion system would fit nicely into a Fit).

Old 08-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Banned

I regret not having the time to test drive the Saturn VUE SUV at HybridFest 2006. For that matter, never had the chance to drive any other hybrid.

The reports on the dash were not raving to put if mildly. It looked almost like a conventional dash. While not hybrid per see, I can't think of a respectable hybrid without a dashboard that clearly gives you instant mpg, trip mpg, the charging, the discharging, etc....

Think Steve V started a thread about the video arcade aspect of hybrids. It's like a video game of seeing how good your fuel economy can be. It's addicting and the general public is simply unaware that it's why so many hybrid drivers are going below the pack speed.

I'm suprized that GM did not make a better dash. Getting a typical hybrid dash would have been an extra $100 max. After market, you can go to www.scangage.com and put down $169 to get your instant mpg and at least 25 other functions.

I hope GM upgrades their dash soon.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:55 AM
Engineering first
Red face Re: Get your name on the waiting list

Originally Posted by brick
. . . Let us know how it goes, Bob. Got a color picked out?
It is not fair of me to make a comment about a vehicle that I haven't test driven. I've only driven a Prius and test driven a Ford Escape. It is only fair to put the Saturn Vue through at least the same loop I used for the Ford. Heck, it might be the perfect vehicle for 'PrivateTroll.'

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 08-14-2006 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Meant to clarify my standards about commenting
Old 08-14-2006, 06:31 AM
Banned

It was not my intent to stir things up with my second-hand comments about the dashboard - sorry if anyone was offended. My remarks were limited to just that item.

I'm convinced every new vehicle should display:
  • instant mpg
  • trip mpg
  • lifetime mpg
For hybrids, the dash should indicate if the batteries are charging or discharging. It's an inexpensive enhancement for an automaker that greatly aids better driving. Hybrids in particular should definitely have them.

I'll leave it with it would be very disappointing for a hybrid not to have the dashboard features mentioned above. It's like being in a fitness program without scales.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 08-14-2006 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
It is not fair of me to make a comment about a vehicle that I haven't test driven. I've only driven a Prius and test driven a Ford Escape. It is only fair to put the Saturn Vue through at least the same loop I used for the Ford. Heck, it might be the perfect vehicle for 'PrivateTroll.'

Bob Wilson
I'd have no expectations if I were you.

Having driven one, my low expectations were evidently too lofty for the vehicle. I wrote a review, but it was incredibly unkind, and isn't here on GH.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Speaking of indicators, an "EV" light would be handy for a HCH-II instrument cluster.

I wonder if the 2-Mode hybrid trucks will have a more "hybridish" set of gauges?

Maybe power *thoughput* would be a useful gauge for the Silverado, since that hybrid system is geared more for functioning as a mobile power plant.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:35 AM
Enthusiastically Active

My new Car and Driver just had a short take and they were very unimpressed. They said that "for $22,995 you get 3 shiney hybrid badges, a 2-3mpg increase and a weak effort."

Quick Reply: Get your name on the waiting list

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands