Jump starting 12 volt battery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Enthusiast
Default Jump starting 12 volt battery?

2 weeks ago I purchased a used 2009 Saturn Vue Green Line Hybred with 30,000 miles. I purchased from a retired couple and have no warranties. The car facts on the vehicle showed no problems and the retired couple had the vehicle serviced as required at Saturn / Chevrolet Dealers. They did replace the 12 volt battery in 2011 which did catch my eye when I saw it on the dealer service reports but I dismissed this as not being a problem since there was no other electrical problems listed after battery replaced in 2011. This is my first Hybred car so the technology is new to me. Since purchasing we have put 300 miles on the car without incident. This morning I went to start the vehicle and I had nothing. No interior or exterior lights or anything put clicking when I turned the key. I referred to the owners manual as proper procedure for jumping the vehicle. I hooked up the jumper cables to the remote terminals as described in the owners manual and after a few minutes I attempted to start the vehicle with no luck. The interior and exterior lights did come on but they were very dim. All I heard from the engine was clicking. Over the past 40 years I have jumped my share of dead batteries and have never had a problem with the car starting. As I said the hybred technology is new to me and I am wondering if there is something I am missing that I am not doing to jump start this car. I have AAA but am reluctant to call them for concern of them sending a driver that might not be knowledgeable on hybred technology and possible causing me more of a problem then I already have. Can anyone shed any light on my situation? Thanks

Old 09-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Jump starting 12 volt battery?

Click from under hood like a traditional 12V starter click?

The Vue should make the key crank start on the 12V starter. Just like traditional. If a 12 cable connection issue exists, it will act like a traditional.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Jump starting 12 volt battery?

Thank You. It turned out to be a bad cell in the 12 volt battery