Just days away from my new Vue!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 04:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just days away from my new Vue!

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Do you have some way to scan data from an OBD or interest in instrumenting the car to gather data? For example, I used simple current loops to generate audio level signals recorded in a laptop. This provides raw data that can be used to quantify vehicle operation.

Bob Wilson
I've considering getting a scangauge II, however I'm a little tapped out due to the holidays.

It seems there may be enough information on line to write a serial port interface (using a USB adapter) through the OBD port. I think I remember seeing the spec online somewhere so it should be possible to write a small program that would allow a computer to hook up to it and record whatever data one was interested in. If a cable doesn't already exist for serial to OBD, I'm sure wiring one up wouldn't be that difficult.

Though what I am most interested in is a dump of the firmware. I want to know whether the firmware in the ECU was tuned for best EPA test performance or was it tuned to more realistic driving condintions. I'd also need to know what CPU the ECU is running with.

Unless there is a seperate board controlling the battery/electric engine throughput, then I should also be able to see if it is possible to tweak the firmware to allow additional batteries or maybe a slightly more powerful electric engine. Not going to get my hopes to high on that one though.

~X~

Old 12-14-2006, 05:07 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Just days away from my new Vue!

Sounds like a good plan.
Originally Posted by Xyrus
I've considering getting a scangauge II, however I'm a little tapped out due to the holidays.

It seems there may be enough information on line to write a serial port interface (using a USB adapter) through the OBD port. I think I remember seeing the spec online somewhere so it should be possible to write a small program that would allow a computer to hook up to it and record whatever data one was interested in. If a cable doesn't already exist for serial to OBD, I'm sure wiring one up wouldn't be that difficult.

Though what I am most interested in is a dump of the firmware. I want to know whether the firmware in the ECU was tuned for best EPA test performance or was it tuned to more realistic driving condintions. I'd also need to know what CPU the ECU is running with.

Unless there is a seperate board controlling the battery/electric engine throughput, then I should also be able to see if it is possible to tweak the firmware to allow additional batteries or maybe a slightly more powerful electric engine. Not going to get my hopes to high on that one though.
Initially, I put my own instrumentation taps in and still do for time critical data. I now have a scanner and it is good new, bad news. The good news is it reports summary data from the control computers but the bad news is this data is sometimes not very real-time. Worse, the OBD interface changed with the new model year and folks are still struggling with 'reverse engineering' the interface.

The best results are coming from those who put in their own instrumentation. They don't have to worry about deciphering interfaces that the manufacturer doesn't seem all that thrilled about sharing. Send me a PM if you decide to try this approach and I'll be happy to share 'lesson's learned' about:

1) running Cat-5 as a data cable from engine compartment to cabin
2) using stereo audio line input for recording data
3) use of magnetic pickups to non-invasive pickup signals
4) a nice $20 TI microprocessor kit

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Old 12-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by RicksVue
Thanks for the welcome, it's appreciated.

I had an interesting drive today to work - my commute is rather a short one (less than four miles each way) with speed bumps, stop signs, and a traffic light all causing a lot of slowing then accelerating. I've been doing barely 20 MPG on that drive. Yesterday on the Saturnfans board I read a message suggesting that babying the Vue's system (slow acceleration, avoiding braking, etc.) would actually hurt the performance. So, today's drive was more aggressive on the gas and brakes and the mileage went up to 22 MPG! ...-Rick
Since the VGL uses a step gear transmission instead of a CVT, you do want to get it into the more efficient gear ranges where the ICE works less. I had not thought about the battery drain v regen braking angle, but that probably contributes too.

Peace,

Martin

Old 12-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SGL2007
And yes, a digital economy readout would be useful ($2k option on Escape), but the eco light is surprisingly effective.
Actually, the 'standard' Escape and Mariner Hybrids offer an instant and Avg fuel economy readout in the gauge cluster. If you opt ($1200) for the Hybrid/Nav radio you get an FE graph that shows the last 15min as well as an average FE since last reset. There is also an instant average bar graph but it is pretty useless.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Enthusiast

Any updates from anyone??? I've had my heart set on a Prius but my wife and I skipped over to the Toyota dealer yesterday and my heart sank. THe thing is a BIT too tiny for 3 kids! I chose a CR-V over the original VUE back in 2002 and always wished I'd gone with the VUE. My CR-V doesn't get great mileage.

I know the GL won't get Prius numbers but 30-32ish mpg on regular would be a big improvement over the 29 on premium I get in my saab. My dealer seems to have no probs with supply. There are three on the lot. Benefit of being in an oil producing state, I guess!

Old 02-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Saturn Cult Member

Originally Posted by USFSGreen
Any updates from anyone??? I've had my heart set on a Prius but my wife and I skipped over to the Toyota dealer yesterday and my heart sank. THe thing is a BIT too tiny for 3 kids! I chose a CR-V over the original VUE back in 2002 and always wished I'd gone with the VUE. My CR-V doesn't get great mileage.

I know the GL won't get Prius numbers but 30-32ish mpg on regular would be a big improvement over the 29 on premium I get in my saab. My dealer seems to have no probs with supply. There are three on the lot. Benefit of being in an oil producing state, I guess!
No, you won't get Prius numbers in the city. I'm averaging around 25 MPG (24.7) on mostly local commuting traffic. (My commute to work is less than four miles each way so I'm pretty close to the worst case with lots of my drives with an engine that's just not getting warmed up given the sub-20 degree weather most mornings these days. I expect better mileage once the weather warms up.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast

Actually, the Vue is well-suited to my driving style. I have a 50 minute interstate commute each way, followed by some stop and go to pick-up the kids in the PM.

I'm just horribly disappointed in the room in the back of the prius. Over on prius chat, I saw all kids of posts about how easily people were getting kids in and out. One look, though, and my wife rightly exclaimed, "You've GOT to be kidding me!" A Highlander and even an Escape are more than I'm gonna pay for something that doesn't produce Prius numbers. I'd actually love a Passat TDI wagon, but..... So, overall economy and roominess are big factors here. Unless I win the Powerball lottery, I probably won't be buying until late in the year. But I'm kinda attached to the old poly-panel Saturns. I'm hoping there will still be one of the hybrids around when I'm looking to buy.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Engineering first

Any updates from anyone??? I've had my heart set on a Prius but my wife and I skipped over to the Toyota dealer yesterday and my heart sank. THe thing is a BIT too tiny for 3 kids! . . .
Camry? Highlander? Ford Escape (recent price reduction)?

Bob Wilson

Old 02-05-2007, 03:33 AM
Saturn Cult Member

Actually, the Vue is well-suited to my driving style. I have a 50 minute interstate commute each way, followed by some stop and go to pick-up the kids in the PM.
As long as that interstate isn't stop and go, you'll make better than the quoted mileage. I had one run at 35 MPG with four adults and baggage, mostly at 70 MPH. Keep the speed down a bit and you'll do a lot better.

Unfortunately for me, there's not too many of those long runs at highway speed; that 200 mile trip was unusual for me.

Since you're not buying immediately it'll give you a chance to watch a few of us here running Green Lines and see if it meets your needs.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:32 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Camry? Highlander? Ford Escape (recent price reduction)?

Bob Wilson
The Camry is a possibility but I can't get over the premium over the non-hybrid model. Then there's the fact that it's a Camry, lol.

I liked the Prius b/c it was a hatch. I occasionally haul lots of junk! I didn't see any Escape Hybrids on the local lots but....

As for my driving habits, when I drove my CR-V everyday, I learned how to squeeze the miles out of it. But I still rarely got 25 mpg in it, cruising at 70 mph. In later years, they mated a 5 speed auto and I've heard it did better. But anyway, I think I could probably do fairly well with the GL.