Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Saturn Vue Green Line (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/saturn-vue-green-line-54/)
-   -   My Saturn Vue GL... (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/saturn-vue-green-line-54/my-saturn-vue-gl-14470/)

BigCatDaddy 07-16-2007 08:29 AM

My Saturn Vue GL...

now has the ScanGuage II installed!! It came in the morning mail and was a snap to install and setup. I'm excited about seeing the performance of my Vue realtime as I drive. I'm on the highway a lot, so now I can see under what conditions I'm getting the best economy.
Now, I wanna talk about tires and such. My Vue GL came from the dealer with nitrogen filled tires at 38 psi. I upped the pressure to 40 psi over the weekend, putting it halfway between the recommended pressure and max pressure, having read that will increase mileage a little. Is there any other benefit to nitrogen over regular old air other than it supposedly doesn't leak out as fast and supposedly helps with tire life from deterioration?

phil94 07-17-2007 07:18 AM

Re: My Saturn Vue GL...

Not sure about the nitrogen. We always used to use it in our tractors, because apparently it "spreads out the weight". That might be some old farmer BS, though. :D

We're running ours at about 37 psi. Have you noticed any change in the way it drives at 40?

BigCatDaddy 07-17-2007 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by phil94 (Post 134388)
Not sure about the nitrogen. We always used to use it in our tractors, because apparently it "spreads out the weight". That might be some old farmer BS, though. :D

We're running ours at about 37 psi. Have you noticed any change in the way it drives at 40?

It still handles quite nicely!! In fact, I think it rides a little better!! We'll see about the mileage. I just filled up yesterday and should do so again Friday, so we'll see if there is any mileage improvement.
I really enjoyed the ScanGuage II yesterday and this morning on my commute. I can see where I can improve my mileage a little by the way I drive. If I could just figure out a route that was downhill both ways, I could get 75 mpg!! :omg:

HybridVue 07-17-2007 09:57 AM

Not sure about 75mpg - let's see if we can do better than 36.14mpg, that I recorded a few weeks back.

As for the air in the tires - I have been running factory standard. I hhave never checked them. However, I will check to see in the next few days and if possible push it up. As always, I will report my findings.

Xyrus 07-17-2007 04:39 PM

"Regular ol' air" filled tires are around 78-79% nitrogen.

The argument for nitrogen is that it leaks slower than regular air, and keeps tires cooler. It's been used for years in jetliner wheels and other commercial applications.

However, there may not be any special benefit to consumer vehicles. In fact, if you regularly check your tire pressure you probably won't see any benefit from nitrogen. Consumer vehicle wheel assemblies aren't known for their heat issues.

That being said, the majority of people don't check their tire pressure regularly so nitrogen may actually be net a benefit due to slower leakage. But that also depends on how well the wheel assembly has been engineered.

~X~

OurGL 07-17-2007 07:11 PM

It's a silly marketing thing that does nothing. Worried about losing pressure - check your tires like you're supposed to. Right up there with siping. Complete waste of money

BigCatDaddy 07-18-2007 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by HybridVue (Post 134405)
Not sure about 75mpg - let's see if we can do better than 36.14mpg, that I recorded a few weeks back.

As for the air in the tires - I have been running factory standard. I hhave never checked them. However, I will check to see in the next few days and if possible push it up. As always, I will report my findings.

Don't think I'll ever hit 36.4 mpg, but I'll keep trying!! Look forward to your future findings!!

BigCatDaddy 07-18-2007 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Xyrus (Post 134451)
"Regular ol' air" filled tires are around 78-79% nitrogen.

The argument for nitrogen is that it leaks slower than regular air, and keeps tires cooler. It's been used for years in jetliner wheels and other commercial applications.

However, there may not be any special benefit to consumer vehicles. In fact, if you regularly check your tire pressure you probably won't see any benefit from nitrogen. Consumer vehicle wheel assemblies aren't known for their heat issues.

That being said, the majority of people don't check their tire pressure regularly so nitrogen may actually be net a benefit due to slower leakage. But that also depends on how well the wheel assembly has been engineered.

~X~

Yeah, I've read conflicting views on the nitrogen thing. I don't think I would run out and find a place that uses it just to have it in there. Mine came with it in the tires and I do like the pretty little blue valvestems they installed!! :confused:

BigCatDaddy 07-18-2007 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by OurGL (Post 134467)
It's a silly marketing thing that does nothing. Worried about losing pressure - check your tires like you're supposed to. Right up there with siping. Complete waste of money

Siping????

From what i've read, the possible benifits would not justify the cost of having nitrogen put in. My Vue came that way, so I'll run with it!!

OurGL 07-19-2007 04:08 PM

Siping - they try to persuade you to put extra cuts in the tread using their cross slicing machine to keep the tires cooler and last longer etc etc. Pure nonsense, like nitrogen, designed to pad the bottom line.

I do make a point of requesing an 80% mix when this is offered which usually gets a 'sorry sir, we don't have anything like that available...'