Share what you know

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:13 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Share what you know

Wikipedia Link

It's a mild hybrid, with FAS to turn off the ICE at stop lights. It also assists, somewhat, in acceleration, but not to the extent of Honda's IMA system. 15% fuel savings over the standard VUE (20/28) and costs $2K more.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:56 AM
YA RLY.
Default Re: Share what you know

It doesn't have an iFCD

Old 08-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

I'm not sure what I have to say about it would be...appreciated, after some test driving of the finished product.

I posted a review elsewhere, if you're really interested in reading it.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:47 AM
Hybrid True Believer

I read your review of the Vue hybrid and it confirms a lot of what I've read in other articles. But I'll be uncharacteristically kind and offer some constructive thoughts on the Vue (all the while chanting the mantra "Saturn is not Pontiac... Saturn is not Pontiac...)

It does seem like BAS is pretty much a low-voltage IMA. With that premise, the system could be made more enjoyable with three very inexpensive updates.

1. Add a real-time fuel efficiency gauge.
2. Reprogram the controller to start the engine when the gas pedal is pushed, not when the brake is released.
3. Reprogram the controller to interrupt fuel flow when slowing to a stop (sure, the pistons will still reciprocate, but it won't burn gasoline).

What do ya think?

The HCH-2 already added #3, and I wish it had #2 too.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:40 AM
Banned

I did see the Saturn VUE at HybridFest, but did not get a chance to drive it.

Why does the dashboard look so conventional?

It would not cost GM that much to display the instant mpg (and trip mpg, lifetime mpg...) - that inexpensive enhancement would sell and addict a lot more buyers. Besides, you want to know whats going on...

This is not a hybrid issue - every vehicle should have instant mpg displayed.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
I read your review of the Vue hybrid and it confirms a lot of what I've read in other articles. But I'll be uncharacteristically kind and offer some constructive thoughts on the Vue (all the while chanting the mantra "Saturn is not Pontiac... Saturn is not Pontiac...)

It does seem like BAS is pretty much a low-voltage IMA. With that premise, the system could be made more enjoyable with three very inexpensive updates.

1. Add a real-time fuel efficiency gauge.
2. Reprogram the controller to start the engine when the gas pedal is pushed, not when the brake is released.
3. Reprogram the controller to interrupt fuel flow when slowing to a stop (sure, the pistons will still reciprocate, but it won't burn gasoline).

What do ya think?

The HCH-2 already added #3, and I wish it had #2 too.
I like #1 and #3, but not #2. As it is now, there is already a delay when starting from an autostop. I think increasing the delay would make certain situations less safe (i.e. turning left across traffic off of a busy road).

Old 08-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
I like #1 and #3, but not #2. As it is now, there is already a delay when starting from an autostop. I think increasing the delay would make certain situations less safe (i.e. turning left across traffic off of a busy road).
Good point! I hadn't thought of that. Of course, a manual "Ice Off" button would be nice for those situations in stop-and-go traffic where one pulls up 10 feet and then sits around for 2-3 mintes.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:54 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
Good point! I hadn't thought of that. Of course, a manual "Ice Off" button would be nice for those situations in stop-and-go traffic where one pulls up 10 feet and then sits around for 2-3 mintes.
Would the parking brake have the same effect?

It sounds as if BAS torque would have to pass through the crankshaft to reach the wheels. This would limit torque or require a much stronger crankshaft and bearings, not a happy approach. But this also defines a distinct hybrid architecture, through the crankshaft. The IMA at least does not put any additional stress on this critical engine part.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Ehh, if the crank is so poorly designed and manufactured as to fail under the additional load of a tiny electric motor, then they've done something very wrong. Keep in mind that we're talking about, what, a 42V system? I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by brick
Ehh, if the crank is so poorly designed and manufactured as to fail under the additional load of a tiny electric motor, then they've done something very wrong. Keep in mind that we're talking about, what, a 42V system? I don't think there's anything to worry about.
With it being only 42v, I wonder how many times the stop/start system will function in heavy traffic? I know an IMA can recharge off of the car's generator. Can a BAS hybrid do the same, or is it limited strictly to braking regen?

Quick Reply: Share what you know

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands