Share what you know

Old 08-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Share what you know

Can't think of any reason that it would be limited to braking regen. If the alternator/starter is driven right off the crank then it will be spinning any time the engine is spinning. The pack should be fed whenever the SOC gets low, just like any other hybrid.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:48 PM
04 prius 350,000km

i assume with the charge/assit meters, with the needle pointing in the middle is the coasting ability (since when one lets the foot off the gas, fuel injection ceases and it starts to regen... so the needle would sway to the left.... point being... hopefully one can add some gas pressure and the needle would swing towards the "assist" but a smart one would try to keep it between the two.)

also the ECO LIGHT is calibrated for the city mpg at lower speeds (27 mpg), and then calibrated for higher speeds on the highway. (32 mpg)

as for the A/C GM added a ECO button to limit A/C use if fuel efficency is a concern. (although not sure if the AC is electric or belt driven, i have a feeling that button limits the ability to stop/start if A/C is desired...)

from a test drive report one guy stopped, and the engine was killed, but as he shifted back to P the engine came back on alive and then he keyed off

from what I can tell, shifting into N does not kill the engine at all (B00!)

the engine will only be killed when the car is at absolute stopped. unlike the honda hybrids which start shutting down as you reach a lower speed. (then again as GM stated... fuel injection is ceased when throttle is not pressed)

that's it for now.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philmcneal
point being... hopefully one can add some gas pressure and the needle would swing towards the "assist" but a smart one would try to keep it between the two.)
Doubtful, I'm afraid. HCH-II pilots can "deadband" by taking their foot off the accelerator and then barely tapping it to kill regen, which results in a low-resistance and zero-fuel coast. However, at the root of that coasting ability is the fact that the HCH-II can shut all valves, which effictively allows the engine to freewheel since it is no longer trying to pump air. The Saturn would need that or a similar technology to do the same, and I have seen no evidence of it. Coasting in the Greenline should be just like taking your foot off the accelerator of any conventional automatic transmission vehicle.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Besides, you want to know whats going on...

This is not a hybrid issue - every vehicle should have instant mpg displayed.
This feature alone could change America's fuel consumption habits overnight....

I remember seeing this featur about 10 years ago on a BMW 3 series thinking... who needs that gadget?

Old 09-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Consumer Reports just gave the Vue a reliability rating of "Black Filled Circle", denoting "Much worse than average" reliability.

But then, this *is* a GM product. Did anyone expect QUALITY?

Old 09-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
I did see the Saturn VUE at HybridFest, but did not get a chance to drive it.

Why does the dashboard look so conventional?

It would not cost GM that much to display the instant mpg (and trip mpg, lifetime mpg...) - that inexpensive enhancement would sell and addict a lot more buyers. Besides, you want to know whats going on...

This is not a hybrid issue - every vehicle should have instant mpg displayed.
I agree. I agree. Iagree.

Peace,

Martin

Old 09-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Would the parking brake have the same effect?

It sounds as if BAS torque would have to pass through the crankshaft to reach the wheels. This would limit torque or require a much stronger crankshaft and bearings, not a happy approach. But this also defines a distinct hybrid architecture, through the crankshaft. The IMA at least does not put any additional stress on this critical engine part.

Bob Wilson
Crankshaft strength is not an issue. Ability of the electric machine to turn the crank could be an issue.

Peace,

Martin

Old 09-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
With it being only 42v, I wonder how many times the stop/start system will function in heavy traffic? I know an IMA can recharge off of the car's generator. Can a BAS hybrid do the same,
YES
Originally Posted by AshenGrey
or is it limited strictly to braking regen?
NO

Peace,

Martin

Old 09-20-2006, 01:32 AM
04 prius 350,000km

Martin can you give details on the VUE green line cold start operations? When starting on the car for the first time, does the car uses the 48 volt system or 12 volt system to start the engine? What are the limitations of the start/stop function of the car (like a minimum speed to enable the function)?

And finally can the car coast ?