Who's had the harness installed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Who's had the harness installed?

Most GL owners by now have received the letter from Saturn (as described in other threads).

Has anyone gone to the dealer and had the harness installed and the software updated? If so, please describe any changes to your GL's performance and fuel economy. Also, has anyone had the problem as described, and did it fix it?

Some of us who are pleased with our GL's current mileage (well, at least me) are a little reluctant to have the repair done, as it may change the GL's hybrid performance. That being said, we often go on long (i.e. 16 hour) trips in our GL and worry about the problem described in the campaign...

Old 09-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Enthusiast
Post Re: Who's had the harness installed?

Phil,

Had the harness installed today.

It appears that the charge/assist gauge shows charging more often now. Also seems to be showing that it is charging longer when rolling along at a given speed (25 to 30 miles per hour) with the eco light on. Have not done any highway running yet.

The assist seems to be a bit more noticeable now when it kicks in, at least it seems that way to me.

Have only driven around town and less than 20 miles so can't answer about how fuel economy is affected, at this point.

Have not noticed anything adverse at this point as a result of having the work done.

I should note that I have not experienced the problem that the harness/software change is supposed to address.

Hope this is of some help.

Robert

Old 09-06-2007, 06:04 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Who's had the harness installed?

Originally Posted by 07GLowner2
Phil,

Had the harness installed today.

It appears that the charge/assist gauge shows charging more often now. Also seems to be showing that it is charging longer when rolling along at a given speed (25 to 30 miles per hour) with the eco light on. Have not done any highway running yet.

The assist seems to be a bit more noticeable now when it kicks in, at least it seems that way to me.

Have only driven around town and less than 20 miles so can't answer about how fuel economy is affected, at this point.

Have not noticed anything adverse at this point as a result of having the work done.

I should note that I have not experienced the problem that the harness/software change is supposed to address.

Hope this is of some help.

Robert
Thanx for that reply, Robert!! I'm still on the fence about having this done as my Vue seems to be getting along just fine without it, but.....

Old 09-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, Robert. Sounds like if anything, hybrid performance may actually be better. Please let us know if and how your mileage has been affected when the time comes.

Also, out of curiosity, when was your VUE built? The data tag on the driver's door pillar should say so.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast

The info on the tag indicates December 2006.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast

While somewhat off topic from this thread, It seemed like a good place to offer my experiences. We got our Hybrid in late April so it's somewhat under five months old. I've read the notes about this wiring harness issue and just received the recall for it yesterday.

Interestingly, we experienced the same symptoms as the faulty wiring harness after about three months. We took it to the dealer and the service manager diagnosed a problem with the "Hybrid Control Module." They replaced said module, reprogrammed the system and the Check Engine and Battery light problems disappeared. We called to see if the wiring harness issue applied to us and they confirmed that it did.

Anyway, as far as the Control Module is concerned we have noticed neither negative or positive as far as gas mileage is concerned. However, during acceleration the Assist meter flies to the right more than it ever did and there is a perceptible improved feel of acceleration. As someone else also reported, we can see the vehicle charging at certain consistent speeds when the Eco light is on (this didn't happen as often prior).

Hope these comments prove informative.

Cheers!

Old 09-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast

Phil,

I just had the harness replacement. I have noticed no difference in the driving. I did not have the harness problem, but had it done during a routine service.

Go Bucks!

Old 09-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast

I have had the harness replaced on mine as well. No noticable changes yet. I have had my Hybrid since March '07 and never noticed the problems related to the harness, but I work at a dealership and they were able to do it while I was at work.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Proud to be GM

If you got the letter, you really ought to make the trip to the dealer. The fix is not intended to impact your hybrid operation one way or the other UNLESS your vehicle is one that has the wiring / alternator issue. In that case, your overall satisfaction with the vehicle should improve. To over-simplify, the wiring harness can intermittently mis-communicate with the alternator. The alternator says "I don't know what you're trying to tell me to do, so I won't do anything". That includes charging the batteries. The fix is a more robust harness to alternator interaction via the replacement harness. Again, I am over-simplifying, but hopefully now you get the gist.

Peace,

Martin

Old 09-18-2007, 02:26 PM
Enthusiast

just to clarify....i didn't receive a letter but a call for the 'harness' fix...will go in shortly..but alot of people are saying the 'wire harness' is being replaced....yet..quote below from another thread here states...

What We Will Do: To prevent this condition from occurring, your Saturn retailer will add a wire harness and reprogram the engine control module and the transmission control module. This service will be performed for you at no charge.

so can anyone clarify..did they actually see an additional harness to correct the problem?

Quick Reply: Who's had the harness installed?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands