Who's had the harness installed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Who's had the harness installed?

I work for a dealer and one of the techs asked how my Hybrid is doing, post-harness replacement. Aparently there have been several weird and seemingly unrelated problems with the VUE's comming in for the harness. One had the battery begin leaking acid all over the car, another shut down and won't do anything. He said I am one of the only ones in the area (there are 5 dealership in our area) that has been through the replacement and hasn't had other problems.
Anyone else have any kind of problems (not including the ignition sticking) since they have had the harness replaced?

Old 09-27-2007, 06:20 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StormyGLVUE
I work for a dealer and one of the techs asked how my Hybrid is doing, post-harness replacement. Aparently there have been several weird and seemingly unrelated problems with the VUE's comming in for the harness. One had the battery begin leaking acid all over the car, another shut down and won't do anything. He said I am one of the only ones in the area (there are 5 dealership in our area) that has been through the replacement and hasn't had other problems.
Anyone else have any kind of problems (not including the ignition sticking) since they have had the harness replaced?
Say it ain't so!!! I got mine back Wed. with the new harness installed and so far, it's purring like a kitten. Everything in the drivetrain just seems smoother and ScanGuage is reporting about 1.5 mpg improvement. I won't really know that for sure until my next tank. I'll be filling up today and kinda expect a crappy tank as it was at the dealer for two days being test driven and sitting idleing a good amount of time. Keep us updated on anything you might find out.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy
Say it ain't so!!! I got mine back Wed. with the new harness installed and so far, it's purring like a kitten. Everything in the drivetrain just seems smoother and ScanGuage is reporting about 1.5 mpg improvement. I won't really know that for sure until my next tank. I'll be filling up today and kinda expect a crappy tank as it was at the dealer for two days being test driven and sitting idleing a good amount of time. Keep us updated on anything you might find out.

Yes, Stormy's post was something I didn't want to read! Still, seems to be an exception as most others have reported success. Glad yours is still going well. Keep us updated.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:09 AM
Active Enthusiast
Post Re: Who's had the harness installed?

Had the Harness installed yesterday along with my 3rd oil change and tire rotation. The dealer took about 90 minutes. I have already put 60 miles on it and the assist and charge gauge is acting the same as before. For me that is a relief and definitely a good thing as my mileage has been solid since mid January when I had the Hybrid in for service due to cruise control/battery issue.

By the way, I went about 12,000 miles between oil changes. For me that was only 4 months. The Oil showed no sign of breakdown, sludge or particles.

On a separate note - tire wear on my Vue has been excellent. The tires have 23,000 miles on it and look brand new. Treads are still deep with no signs of exess wear. I should be able to get 60,000 miles on them. I will keep everyone posted.

I will drop another 500 miles by Monday so I should a full tank to report post harness.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Great news! Did the OLS signal the oil change? We had the OLS in our previous Saturn, an L300, and we used it. I'm amazed at how different it is in our GL, though. We drive exactly the same commute, but the OLS seems to go much longer between changes. We have 7k since the last change, and the OnStar report said we have 53% oil life remaining!

Same boat here with the tires. We're quite happy with their performance, and see no excessive wear.

Did they also do the software updates on your GL?

Last edited by phil94; 09-27-2007 at 07:53 AM. Reason: forgot to ask...
Old 09-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Active Enthusiast
Post Re: Who's had the harness installed?

OLS did not signal the oil change. (Does anyone know if there an OLS for the Saturn Vue Hybrid?) I felt that I would get the harness, oil change and tire rotation done all at the same time. I think On Star had the oil life at ~13%. I went 12,000 miles in between changes. My next oil change will probably be at 35,000 miles or around Jan of 2008.

The tech said the software was updated but it acts the same as before. Maybe they backed up my configuration and then reloaded it. I did tell them not to mess anything up with the settings. Got to stay ahead of BigCatDaddy and Firenurse4

My recommendation to all would be to get the Harness update. It should not hurt but may help those in need.

Best wishes to all.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HybridVue
OLS did not signal the oil change. (Does anyone know if there an OLS for the Saturn Vue Hybrid?) I felt that I would get the harness, oil change and tire rotation done all at the same time. I think On Star had the oil life at ~13%. I went 12,000 miles in between changes. My next oil change will probably be at 35,000 miles or around Jan of 2008.

The tech said the software was updated but it acts the same as before. Maybe they backed up my configuration and then reloaded it. I did tell them not to mess anything up with the settings. Got to stay ahead of BigCatDaddy and Firenurse4

My recommendation to all would be to get the Harness update. It should not hurt but may help those in need.

Best wishes to all.
OnStar gave me 14,500 miles between oil changes but I just couldn't stand to go that long, guess I'm just a little old school to think oil can keep its viscosity that long, so I have been changing mine at 5k.
Just be sure to turn your key on, pump the gas pedal 3 times real quick to reset the Oil Life Sensor.

Beware HybridVue, I'm right behind you and closing fast!!!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy
OnStar gave me 14,500 miles between oil changes but I just couldn't stand to go that long, guess I'm just a little old school to think oil can keep its viscosity that long, so I have been changing mine at 5k.
I can understand not trusting an email to tell you when to change your oil, but you really oughta try it. Validation engineers are notoriously conservative in making any claims that can come back to bite the company in warranty. When OnStar reads your vehicle system status, it's reading the same info that your Oil Life Sensor would read and reporting that back to you. That is a CONSERVATIVE estimate of oil life left.

This is a clearcut example of the old adage "your mileage may vary". Engine oil life is very much dependent on driving duty cycle. The chemical changes and viscosity changes are measurable. Two neighbors with the exact same vehicle but different driving patterns will get different OnStar reports on oil life.

If you are skeptical, you can always pop the hood and check the ol' dipstick for volume and clarity (just like in the olden days when televisions had ***** and radios had dials ). In the meantime, keep your money in your pocket and those oil cans on the shelf for the guy who REALLY needs to change theirs.

Peace,

Martin

Last edited by martinjlm; 09-27-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HybridVue
Got to stay ahead of BigCatDaddy and Firenurse4
Well the arm is healed up and so is the mileage. Hope to get caught up to real soon~

Old 10-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Enthusiast

Got a couple of tanks under my belt since harness change. No "crazy improvment" or loss for that matter. It does seem to stay in "eco" mode longer. Still hate the cruise controll "racing the motor" up hills, etc.....

I did have a wheel bearing go out around 14k and had a series of low milage tanks leading up to that.

Still just like the car.... but I do love the mileage!

Quick Reply: Who's had the harness installed?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands