Government & Taxes Money, credits and more!

2007 Tax credit in California

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 2007 Tax credit in California

Hello. I bought a new 2007 HCH and I was wondering if anyone knows if there will be, and if so how much, a tax credit in California for this vehicle in 2007. I know it's a ways away, but i'm just curious.
Thanks

Old 07-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Tax credit in California

Here's the existing benefits from http://go.ucsusa.org/hybridcenter/incentives.cfm#CA

California

State Hybrid HOV: On Jan. 1, 2005, CA will allow hybrid electric vehicles that get at least 45mpg and have SULEV emissions ratings to use high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes without regard to the number of passengers in the vehicle. As of 8/10, this incentive is now in operation. Current eligible vehicles include the Toyota Prius, Honda Insight and Honda Civic hybrid. Vehicles must have special decals in order to use HOV lanes. Note: A total of 75,000 decals are available and will be granted on a "first come-first served" basis. For more information go to http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm
On Sept. 29, 2006, the Governor signed AB 2600, which increases the number of carpool decals available for qualified hybrid vehicles by 10,000 to 85,000. It also extends the sunset date of the program by three years to 2011. This legislation was somewhat controversial given the results of a California Department of Transportation report which found that some carpool lanes were becoming congested with hybrids, reducing the incentive to carpool. In late January, 2007, state officials said that they now had more applications than they did additional decals to grant.
San Jose Free Hybrid Parking: Free parking at downtown San Jose public parking facilities and on-street meters throughout the City for Clean-Fuel Vehicles purchased in San Jose. Began 1/1/03. Eligibility-- Contact-- Jason Burton (408) 794-1427, jason.burton@ci.sj.ca.us.

Los Angeles Hybrid Free Parking -- Gas-electric hybrid cars can park at parking meters for free, but can still be ticketed for exceeding the time allotment for metered spaces. They ran through a 6 month trial period from October 2004-March 2005. The LA City Council recently voted an extension of the incentive through May 2005 while the LA Department of Transportation prepares an evaluation. Police Officers have been trained to recognize hybrid cars.
If you own a Zero Emission Vehicle or Super Low Emission Vehicle as defined by the California Air Resources Board, you may purchase a California Clean Air Vehicle Decal from the California Department of Motor Vehicles. Once you have purchased and affixed the decal to your vehicle per DMV instructions, you can park without depositing coins at metered parking spaces (however, you remain subject to the posted time limit restrictions) throughout the city. To find out how to obtain a California Clean Air Vehicle Decal, go to: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm
According to a representative at the LA Department of Transportation, four hybrid vehicles were identified as eligible to receive the free metered parking privileges during the pilot program: Toyota Prius, Honda Civic Hybrid, Honda Insight and Ford Escape Hybrid. For more information e-mail the LA Department of Transportation at ladot@dot.lacity.org.
Update: On 6/21/06, the Los Angeles City Council approved an extension of the parking benefit through calendar year 2007.
Clean Car Discount (bill): AB 493 would provide one-time rebates and one-time surcharges on the purchase of new cars depending on each vehicle’s emissions of global warming pollution. The rebates are funded by one-time surcharges on new vehicles with higher emissions of global warming pollution. The maximum rebate or surcharge will be capped at $2,500, with the average rebate or surcharge likely to fall somewhere between $900 and $1,400. Introduced 2/21/07.
Hybrid Tax Credit (bill): AB 2616 would allow a $3,000 tax deduction for the purchase or initial lease of certain hybrid vehicles. Introduced 2/24/06. Re-referred to Committee on Revenue and Taxation and held under submission 5/15/06. This bill did not pass in the 2006 legislative session.
Hybrid Tax Credit (bill): AB 838 would provide purchasers of hybrid vehicles a credit against net tax in an amount equal to a specified percentage of the amount paid as vehicle license fee (VLF) during the taxable year. The percentage of the credit would depend on emissions ratings. ZEV autos would receive 100 percent of the credit, PZEVs 90 percent, ATPZEVs 85 percent, and SULEVs 80 percent. ULEVs would also qualify if the vehicle obtained an EPA-rated 75 mpg or above (75 percent of the credit) or between 33 and 75 mpg (between 33 percent and 74 percent, accordingly). The bill was not passed in the 2005 legislative session.
Up to $1,000 in rebates on Escape Hybrid, 0% financing in D.C. area and California (private): From 3/16-4/6/06, Ford Motor Company offered a nationwide package of rebates and discounts that could total up to $1,000 for the Ford Escape Hybrid. Ford dealers in the Washington, D.C. area and in California were also offering 5-year 0% financing on Escape Hybrids. The financing offer could not be combined with the rebates.

Hybrid Internet Sales (bill): AB 1223 would allow direct sales of hybrid vehicles from manufacturers to customers without having to go through a dealer. This bill failed to pass the Transportation Committee on 5/2/05. Santa Barbara County Incentives for Hybrids: Incentive funding ($1000) for up to ten (10) hybrid vehicles is available for Santa Barbara Air Pollution Control District residents. Funding currently depleted. Contact--Irene Salazar ISalazar@energy.state.ca.us. Responsible agency--California Energy Commission. Program ended March 30, 2004 and is no longer in effect.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks a lot.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Enthusiast

Now I confirmed some rumors. It's really true that four hybrid vehicles were specified as qualified to accept the free metered parking privileges during the pilot program.