Government & Taxes Money, credits and more!

FYI..The IRS has released the 8910

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default FYI..The IRS has released the 8910

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8910.pdf

The IRS has released the form 8910 Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit.
Also listed are the maximum credits for the 2008 models.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: FYI..The IRS has released the 8910

Anyone done this yet. Does the IRS require any proof that I actually own a hybrid. Do you need to send a copy of the vehicle purchase agreement? registration? window sticker? what?

I bought my civic hybrid in May and just sold it 2 days ago. I obviously want to take the credit but just want to see what corresponding paperwork I may or may not need to turn in.

Thanks Guys.

Dave

Old 02-19-2008, 06:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

There's nothing you have to send in with form 8910. But as with almost all of your deductions and credits on your tax forms, the onus is on you to prove that you actually earned the credit or deduction if you ever get audited.

I'd just throw a backup copy of the purchase agreement in your file with your other tax paperwork so you don't have to go digging for it somewhere else in case you do ever get audited, but no need to do anything more than that.

Last edited by chesterakl; 02-19-2008 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Enthusiast

I think I'll just photocopy the purchase agreement and sent it in so there's no issues later.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you sell the car before 3 years is up, you have to refund a portion of the credit.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sirfergy
If you sell the car before 3 years is up, you have to refund a portion of the credit.
Are you sure? That's the first I've heard of that. With a little bit of web-searching, I can't find that anywhere. Could you please reference the IRS publication where it says this?

Old 04-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sirfergy
Yeah and if you buy something off the internet you're supposed to report that so you can pay your state's sales tax on it. LOL!

Don't feel bad about not complying with the tax code. It is so complex its complexity alone is a valid defense to avoid criminal prosecution unless its blatant. The IRS only audits ~1-1.5% of all returns.

People that worry about audits really have no idea the antics the wealthy use to reduce or eliminate theirs, which when explained in plain English most people would be amazed they're actually semi-legal.

Now if you engage in blatant fraud then you will do more than just pay back taxes and penalties, but thats a different story.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast

I just bought a hybrid, do I have to wait until I file my taxes next year to send in the 8910, or can I just send it in now for the rebate?

Old 05-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Energy Independence

IF you bought it NEW (put it into service) in 2008, you'll wait until next January when you file your 2008 taxes.
If you bought it USED, you do not get the credit, the original owner did.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gumby
IF you bought it NEW (put it into service) in 2008, you'll wait until next January when you file your 2008 taxes.
If you bought it USED, you do not get the credit, the original owner did.
That's what I thought.

I'm a bit confused however by the phase out instructions. I was thinking about buying a Toyota Camry, and based on the F8910 I would not get a tax credit correct?

Basically you have to buy something other than a Honda or Toyota to get the tax credit (Honda gets a partial) correct?

Quick Reply: FYI..The IRS has released the 8910

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands