Government & Taxes Money, credits and more!

HOV Transfer - Anyobody ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:19 PM
aha
Active Enthusiast
Default HOV Transfer - Anyobody ?

I'm thinking of switching to HCHII, wondering if they allow me to transfer my HOV sticker since HCHII is listed as eligible for HOV. Any insight is appreciated.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HOV Transfer - Anyobody ?

Originally Posted by aha
I'm thinking of switching to HCHII, wondering if they allow me to transfer my HOV sticker since HCHII is listed as eligible for HOV. Any insight is appreciated.
You don't say where you live, i.e., Calif? Or where.

I don't know, but being bored I'll offer this up, which you probably know. I think it will depend on whether the sticker is yours or the car's.

Hmm. Let's see. If it yours and you take it, what happens to the person who buys your car?

Well, as I mentioned, I'm bored.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:55 PM
aha
Active Enthusiast

I'm in Cali. I have HCHI with the sticker that's why I said "transfer".

Old 11-28-2007, 08:55 PM

I live in Cali and they are transferrable here.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:03 PM
aha
Active Enthusiast

I know the HOV ownership is transferable so if I sell my HCHI, the buyer will want to transfer my HOV eligibility to him. What I'm thinking is buying the HCHII first and if the CA DMV can 'transfer' my HOV sticker (issuing another set) that would be great. Then, I'll sell my HCHI. This idea doesn't seem to fly somehow but that's the only thing I can think of now.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Enthusiast

The stickers stay with the car. You cannot put them on a new car you buy now. The stickers ran out in January 2007, so new cars bought since then were not able to get the stickers.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:26 PM

Mark. That's not correct. The stickers do not necessarily stay with the car. They can either be transfered to the new owner or to a new hybrid. You cannot put them on your new car, but you can send the old ones back and the DMV will give you new ones to put on your new car.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
Mark. That's not correct. The stickers do not necessarily stay with the car. They can either be transfered to the new owner or to a new hybrid. You cannot put them on your new car, but you can send the old ones back and the DMV will give you new ones to put on your new car.
They will send you replacement stickers, but they are still tied to the VIN of the original car.

This is what the DMV says:

All Clean Air Stickers remain with the vehicle they were originally issued to and cannot be transferred to any other vehicle. If you purchase a vehicle that has a Clean Air Sticker you may transfer the sticker to your name.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:37 PM

Oh. Sorry. I guess I should have researched a little. :\.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by aha
This is lifted from the Calif. DMV code: (I assume you live in Calif.)
"All Clean Air Stickers remain with the vehicle they were originally issued to and cannot be transferred to any other vehicle. If you purchase a vehicle that has a Clean Air Sticker you may transfer the sticker to your name.
If you acquire a hybrid vehicle with Clean Air Vehicle Stickers attached, and are a resident of Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano or Sonoma County, you must obtain a Bay Area FasTrak account before you drive as a sole occupant in a high-occupancy vehicle (carpool or diamond) lane.
All Clean Air Vehicle stickers will expire January 1, 2011, unless the law authorizing their use is extended beyond that date.
Carpool lane use may be restricted at any time by state and federal law for all Clean Air Vehicles carrying fewer occupants than the posted minimum requirement, if their presence is determined by the California Department of Transportation to contribute to increased traffic congestion, increased travel times, decreased sustained travel speeds, or other factors affecting any carpool lane or segment of that lane.
Clean air vehicles that meet the posted minimum occupancy requirements for carpool lanes are not subject to the above restrictions."

And so - I would guess you couldn't transfer your sticker. Whoever gets your car, gets the sticker.

Or so it seems.

Last edited by centrider; 12-18-2007 at 11:04 PM. Reason: inserted quotation marks

Quick Reply: HOV Transfer - Anyobody ?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands