Government & Taxes Money, credits and more!

Insurance Companies SUCK

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 03:39 AM
'Tis but a scratch!
Angry Insurance Companies SUCK

Man... I now HATE dealing with insurance even more that I ever have! My wife and I just got a new Honda Civic Hybrid (43MPG ). So we go Friday to get the insurance switched over from the old clunker we were driving to this one, thinking "This is a Hybrid and it got really good safety ratings... We should get a discount on our insurance" OMFG!!! Not only did we not get a discount but we got charges tacked on BECAUSE it was a Hybrid! It's not just Farm Bureau that does this, State Farm was even more expensive... The only two Insurance Agencies that I found that didn't are GEICO, and Travelers. We ended going with GEICO 1) because they were a little cheaper and 2) I called my Dad who owns a Paint and Body shop and asked him which one was better to deal with.

So basicly Insurance companies are saying that if you go buy a Big Honking SUV that gets 2MPG and drive around with a cloud of smog behind you (and most SUVs have lower safety ratings than anything else), you will get a discount; but if you buy a Fuel Efficient car that get 40-45 MPG with near 0 emissions and a high safety rating, we will charge the HELL out of you.

No one can honestly tell me that a Hybrid can be more of a Liability on the road than a SUV. I mean, come on, people buy a Hybrid to save gas, so they are going to automatically slow down, and they are not going to be driving aggressively. And I know in the Honda, you are literately SURROUNDED by Air Bags, it is the safest car that I've ever driven.

Insurance companies SUCK!!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 05:42 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Insurance Companies SUCK

I'm with Farm Bureau and they give out rebates for people to buy a gas-guzzling Dodge Ram pick-up truck. Yes, they also bill me steeply for insuring my Prius. Just another incentive to pay it off as quickly as possible to drop the Full Coverage.

Capitalist bastards....

Old 04-06-2008, 07:28 AM
Enthusiast

I just got insurance on my 05 prius and it is lower than my wifes 03 Vibe. Check with Guide One insurance.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Hybrid Owner

I'm scratching my head too...I'm with Allstate and my insurance went up $2/yr for my HCH compared to my '02 Miata and '93 Cadillac combined.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:46 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

I have an Toyota Camry XLE-V6 and a Toyota Camry Hybrid both 2007's and similarly (fully loaded) equipped. I have State Farm and pay identical premiums (within a few dollars/month) for the two cars. So no apparent Hybrid insurance ding here. Actually the Camry Hybrid is $6 less semi-annually than the XLE-V6.
I've tried other insurance companies over the years and settled in on State Farm in my old age. I like the agent. Call it a "comfort thing". I think I've had maybe two claims in my entire life and both were paid quickly and fairly. If it ain't broke don't fix it I say.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Try getting a quote from esurance or amex. I'm with esurance now. They where much cheaper than any of the other insurance companies and are easy to deal with.

I have a 06 HCH and an 07 FEH insured with esurance right now in LA, less than $180 a month with 2 drivers.

Juan S. Fernandez
06 HCH / 06 FEH
Los Angeles, CA

Old 04-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

With AAA my FEH is less expensive than my '98 Saturn SL2.

Don't confuse vehicle safety with the financial liability of paying for injury or vehicle replacement. You care about the first and the insurance company cares about the second. Air bags reduce the risk of injury, but they're darn expensive to replace.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:40 AM

Dwayne; I do not know where you live...but that is not the case for me, even in 'gouge ya California."! I have Mercury insurance, and my premiums actually went down $6 every 6 months! when I bought my FEH. My other car was a 2000 Toyota Corolla, and was very reasonable to insure, but I was pleasantly surprised when I got the new quote.
I have also heard that esurance is the way to go, but I myself like to talk face to face with my agent, so I'll stick with Mercury.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Think green.

Travelers gave me a 10% discount on the insurance for my hybrid.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:27 PM
'Tis but a scratch!

Originally Posted by jill.g@verizon.net
Dwayne; I do not know where you live...but that is not the case for me, even in 'gouge ya California."! I have Mercury insurance, and my premiums actually went down $6 every 6 months! when I bought my FEH. My other car was a 2000 Toyota Corolla, and was very reasonable to insure, but I was pleasantly surprised when I got the new quote.
I have also heard that esurance is the way to go, but I myself like to talk face to face with my agent, so I'll stick with Mercury.
I live in Georgia, and the Agent at Farm Bureau and another independent agent both told me that insurance for Hybrids (in Georgia at least) costs more.

Quick Reply: Insurance Companies SUCK

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands