Government & Taxes Money, credits and more!

Insurance Companies SUCK

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Insurance Companies SUCK

Hey,

We had a 2004 VW Touraeg V8 and now gladly own a 2008 Toyota Prius.
We have GEICO and saved about $120 when switching vehicle on our policy. I believe they give Hybrid customers 10% discount.
I believe other companies are giving rebates as well, you should shop around and ask.

Love the car, the insurance savings & the MPG!! Too bad we can't get the HOV stickers and tax rebates anymore...

Old 04-14-2008, 01:04 PM

Yes, that's too bad about the HOV stickers, but I still got the tax credit. I have heard so many good things about Geico, maybe I should get a quote when my policy runs out in August??

Old 04-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
This insurance experienced semi-sucked

5. I explain the situation with State Farm, who doesn't seem interested in witnesses.
Why in the world were you taking it upon yourself to do all these things... That is EXACTLY what you have your own insurance for. Let them "earn their money" dealing with getting the other insurance company to "pay up".

Old 04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jill.g@verizon.net
Steve;
You have sure had some bad luck with insurance co's. That is just all-around %$#@ service on all their parts, except Geico, who sound like a cut above all the rest. I have not had gap insurance, but now will talk to my agent about it. Does it make any difference if the car is paid off or not? (Mine is) Hope your experience with State Farm, etc. will encourage others to question their current coverage. Better now then when you need it, right?
Gap Insurance is for suckers only (er, um I mean people with loans or leases who are "upside down"). The more "financially astute" among us who put a fair amount down and not try to get 100% financing do not such problems.

The ONLY thing GAP insurance does is make up the difference between what the Insurance company is willing to pay and what your existing balance is on the note at the time of the incident. So, no need to waste money on GAP insurance if your car is paid for.

As far as getting the MOST out of a wrecked vehicle... well that is up to you and YOUR OWN insurance company to work out. If the other party is at fault, the other insurance will often pay the least amount possible unless pressed. You would be surprised at the number of people who simply say "OK, that sounds fair" when the insurance company makes their first "offer". Few even bother to pursue "diminished value" for cars that are not completely totaled. Why not?

Old 04-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dcvandiver
Man... I now HATE dealing with insurance even more that I ever have! My wife and I just got a new Honda Civic Hybrid (43MPG ). So we go Friday to get the insurance switched over from the old clunker we were driving to ...
Ah, Do'ah! An "old clunker's insurance is ALWAYS going to be less than a brand spanking new car. I don't care if it's a hybrid or a Volkswagon. The FACT is that insurance rates are PRIMARILY based on a car's VALUE, not whether it is a hybrid or not. Your 1972 Pinto was worth $0.50 and therefore your insurance was dirt cheap. Your new Honda is worth $20,000+ and therefore your insurance rate reflects this HUGE dichotomy. It doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the fact it "happens" to be a Hybrid.

My insurance agency gives us about a 10% discount on our 2006 HiHy.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:03 AM
'Tis but a scratch!

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Ah, Do'ah! An "old clunker's insurance is ALWAYS going to be less than a brand spanking new car. I don't care if it's a hybrid or a Volkswagon. The FACT is that insurance rates are PRIMARILY based on a car's VALUE, not whether it is a hybrid or not. Your 1972 Pinto was worth $0.50 and therefore your insurance was dirt cheap. Your new Honda is worth $20,000+ and therefore your insurance rate reflects this HUGE dichotomy. It doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the fact it "happens" to be a Hybrid.

My insurance agency gives us about a 10% discount on our 2006 HiHy.
I didn't say that I expected insurance on the Hybrid to be cheaper than what it was on the old Pontiac. If you read my second post, you will see where I say that it was the Insurance Agents themselves that told me that insurance on a Hybrid is more expensive than say a normal Honda Civic. I expected the insurance to be more on the new car but I didn't expect 1) the rates from different insurance agencies to vary as much as they do (from $1,100 on the high side to $600 on the low side) or 2) to be told that because it's a Hybrid the insurance rates are higher.

We ended up going with Geico and got a good price.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dcvandiver
Man... I now HATE dealing with insurance even more that I ever have! My wife and I just got a new Honda Civic Hybrid (43MPG ). So we go Friday to get the insurance switched over from the old clunker we were driving to this one, thinking "This is a Hybrid and it got really good safety ratings... We should get a discount on our insurance" OMFG!!! Not only did we not get a discount but we got charges tacked on BECAUSE it was a Hybrid! It's not just Farm Bureau that does this, State Farm was even more expensive... The only two Insurance Agencies that I found that didn't are GEICO, and Travelers. We ended going with GEICO 1) because they were a little cheaper and 2) I called my Dad who owns a Paint and Body shop and asked him which one was better to deal with.

So basicly Insurance companies are saying that if you go buy a Big Honking SUV that gets 2MPG and drive around with a cloud of smog behind you (and most SUVs have lower safety ratings than anything else), you will get a discount; but if you buy a Fuel Efficient car that get 40-45 MPG with near 0 emissions and a high safety rating, we will charge the HELL out of you.

No one can honestly tell me that a Hybrid can be more of a Liability on the road than a SUV. I mean, come on, people buy a Hybrid to save gas, so they are going to automatically slow down, and they are not going to be driving aggressively. And I know in the Honda, you are literately SURROUNDED by Air Bags, it is the safest car that I've ever driven.

Insurance companies SUCK!!!!
Generally I'll agree with you. However, I didn't notice an increase in my insurance when I changed from my '95, SL2 Saturn to my '06 Prius.

Last year the Prius got away from wife in WI, resulting in having the brakes replaced. At first we were told it was a mechanical failure so they would not cover it.

Well, they did indeed cover pretty much everything - brakes, car rental fees, motel - even to the point where we called them to point out they were overpaying.

The summer we bought the Prius, I (that is, Toyota dealer) discovered we had rats setting up light housekeeping in the front passenger compartment.

Well the repairs were covered and paid for by . . .
State Farm.