Government & Taxes Money, credits and more!

tax credit for used hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default Re: tax credit for used hybrid?

When I read the tax form from the IRS NOWHERE did it ask for a vin or any proof of purchase. I also heard that the owner must keep the vehical at least 6 months to claim the credit.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
When I read the tax form from the IRS NOWHERE did it ask for a vin or any proof of purchase. I also heard that the owner must keep the vehical at least 6 months to claim the credit.
It's done by date in which the car was put into service... not by VIN. I went through this already with my accountant, who had to look it up. You don't send in anything in terms of proof of the sale. These days the IRS wants very little in terms of paperwork submitted... but if they question your filing and decide to audit, you'd better have the paperwork to back it up. In the case of this tax credit, what you need is some way to prove the date at which the car was first put into service. A bill of sale showing when the car was titled & registered to you should suffice.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast

Well IMO it kinda great if 60,000 hybrid or advance lean burn technology vehicles of a particular manufacturer are sold, the tax credit is reduced and eventually eliminated.
__________________________________________________ __
My Autopartswarehouse.com Blog

Old 07-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast

You might try other hybrids like the Escape... While the prius is cool, there are other things out there worth a look...