Government & Taxes Money, credits and more!

Tax Credits on a new Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Hybrid Shopper
Question Tax Credits on a new Hybrid

With HONDA coming out with its new INSIGHT in 09 some time in APRIL. Does any one know if it will be in line to get a tax Credit. ( if so how much and for how many Vehicles sold )
Im not positive how the credits work, is it per model Hybrid vehicle or is it for the Total amount of Hybrids a manufacturers makes.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tax Credits on a new Hybrid

The tax credits work based on the number of qualifying cars sold by the manufacturer. Once the manufacturer sells 60,000 units, the phase out period begins. Honda has already passed the 60,000 mark and the phase out period will be over for anyone buying a Honda hybrid by the time the new Insight comes out.

To be more specific, the phase out period for Honda buyers started in January, 2008. From January to June 30, the tax credits were halved. From July 1st to Dec 31st, 2008, the tax credits were one-fourth the full tax credit. On Jan 1, 2009, there will be no tax credits available for anyone buying a Honda hybrid.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast

Does anyone know about tax credits on the Ford Escape hybrid

Old 11-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, people who buy the Ford Escape Hybrid are still eligible for the tax credit. I don't know what the 2009 model is eligible for, but the 2008 model year is at least $2200. That's only if you qualify for it, though.

More information:
(My site, btw) http://hybridreview.blogspot.com/200...-for-2007.html

Old 12-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Enthusiast

I think I'll qualify for a federal tax credit of $525 or so for the Honda Civic Hybrid I bought last summer. Assuming Honda has now sold all 60,000 hybrids, the federal tax credit has lapsed. Let's hope the new administration and Congress renew the hybrid tax credit program. We need to keep encouraging the switch-over to these evironmentally friendly, gas sipping vehicles.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

IMO, if the Govt is going to incentivize any cars it ought to be 4 cyl Big three cars.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast

I just bought a 2009 THH, would I be eligible for a tax credit either this year or next?

Old 12-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Enthusiast

I don't think so

Old 12-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Enthusiast

Is there a reason why? I wouldn't get it next year either since its a '09 model?

Old 12-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Enthusiast

You need to noodle around online to find a more knowlegeable source, or maybe consult a tax acountant or somebody. I had a devil of a time determining how much (if any) tax credit I would get on my 08 Civic hybrid.

My understanding is that both Toyota and Honda have reached the 60,000 hybrid car limit and that tax credits are no longer available for the Prius or Civic hybrids. Maybe, if you're lucky, there is still some tax credit to be had on the Highlander. Your dealer should know, but there is a lot of confusion on this topic. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Tax Credits on a new Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands