Government & Taxes Money, credits and more!

Tax Refund on a LEASE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Hybrid Enthusast
Default Tax Refund on a LEASE?

Will I be able to get a tax return if I lease my car, or is it only available when you buy the car?

Old 01-03-2008, 04:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Post Re: Tax Refund on a LEASE?

Federal Hybrid Vehicle Tax Credits
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has acknowledged the certification by Nissan North America, Inc. (NNA) that the 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid qualifies for federal tax credits in the amount of $2,350. The Energy Policy Act of 2005 established federal tax credits for qualified hybrids purchased after January 1, 2006. The credit was designed to encourage purchases of fuel-efficient hybrid-electric vehicles that help to reduce air pollution and use less gasoline.

How to qualify for the tax credit:
1) The Hybrid vehicle must be new. Used vehicles will not qualify.
2) The Hybrid vehicle must be purchased.
a) The credit is only available to the original purchaser. If the vehicle is leased to a consumer, the leasing company may claim the credit, not the lessee.
3) The Hybrid vehicle must be placed in service on or after January 1, 2006 and purchased on or before December 31, 2010.
4) The tax credit is claimed by the purchaser on their federal income tax return. The purchaser must retain appropriate documentation showing the purchase of the vehicle and the date of the delivery of the vehicle.
5) Benefit of the credit will be substantially reduced or eliminated if the purchaser is subject to the federal alternative minimum tax (AMT).
Eligible Vehicles

As of August 7, 2007, the IRS acknowledged NNA’s certification for the 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid and the hybrid vehicle credit in the amount of $2,350.
Please visit the website link “Click here for the IRS Certification of 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid” for more information.

In short - a leased Nissan Altima Hybrid does not qualify for a tax credit. But at least you are doing your part in saving gas.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:44 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tax Refund on a LEASE?

It's important to note that the leasing company gets the tax credit. I'm not sure if there are any tax implications that could prevent them from taking advantage of it, but it should be a basis for getting a better lease deal.

Unless this is part of a business strategy, I would question why one would lease a hybrid. The tax credit would offset the down payment and payments would probably be lower than lease payments, with a greater residual value because of the high potential resale of a hybrid.

Actually, if your credit is good, these days you can often buy a car with no money down. I walked out with my FEH with $0 down and 3.9% financing. Leases almost always require deposits.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Hybrid Enthusast

It's a car thats leased through a business, and buying isn't smart for me at this time. I'm just wondering if the dealer (or NNA) will actually get the $2350 rebate, thus allowing me to negotiate the price down $2000. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Enthusiast

Thats good to hear!

Last edited by furblog; 09-04-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Enthusiast

Well, okay. Does the tax credit must be claimed "only" by the purchaser on their federal income tax return? The purchaser must retain appropriate documentation showing the purchase of the vehicle and the date of the delivery of the vehicle(what are these documents) I am just confused.