Government & Taxes Money, credits and more!

What if gas goes sky high???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What if gas goes sky high???

I live near a VERY rich area and I see a lot of hummers on my commute. Everyday I pass by a gas station that is packed with people driving hummers and luxury cars. (most likely filling up w/ premium). This morning 91 was 3.75, but I have seen it higher. FastMover is right. They don't know/care how much their fuel is. If they did they would at least go to the one 300 yards away that is a little cheaper. Or the one off the next freeway exit, where gas is about 40 cents per gallon cheaper.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:59 PM
joe540ci

What is this?Motor Authority » Electric car with 1,350Nm of torque on sale now

Old 11-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

If fuel goes sky high, all of our products that are delivered via truck's will follow.

Time to quit spending money on the Iraq war, and funnel it towards a new rail infrastructure. I wonder what a new rail infrastructure would cost? Could it be cheaper then the Iraq war.

Even though I dont like the war, I am going to enjoy the 3k tax credit I just got on MMH, and correct me if I am wrong, but I think W has his sig. on that one.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I am sorry, I am truly missing something here... I am not overly wealthly but at the same time, I am not desolute either. I resent some of the comments made here about well off people of this country. People who worked their butts off to get where they are at. All elements have their place in the economy. Our falling dollar is a sign of the times when the country as a whole needs to revaluate ourselves and reprioritize what we need and want.

Whether someone drives a large Hummer or a small Fourtwo, a gas guzzler or a gas sipper, we are all still part of a problem. Our country is a consumer based country. We do not make the majority of things we consume. We buy them from other countries. Now I am not saying go out an buy a Chevy or a Ford. I am saying we all need to look within ourselves before we speak.

Someone made a comment on people who drive Hummers don't care how much it cost to fill up, well, honestly they do. The more it cost to fill up, the less they have to invest. But at the sametime, they might not be able to use a small Hybrid car to do certain tasks, like drive people around or climb rugged terrain.

Are we going to run out of gas tomorrow, no. Are we going to run out of gas one day, yes! Conserving what we have isn't going to do much, especially since China and India are now posed to become the next big thing. They are growing larger everyday and are buying cars and building roads in great strides...

I agree our quest to invade another country for oil is no better than what the terrorist are doing now to us. We have no right in their country.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:04 AM
joe540ci

I was told that gas prices in europe are as high as $8.00 a gallon. So how do they afford it without a huge change in there driving habits. There must be info on this somewere. I'll try google.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:14 AM
joe540ci

As a suggestion, this thread needs either a new direction or a new home.

Bob Wilson.

what do you think it should be called or moved to? How about "What if gas prices go sky high" and give it its own listing

Old 11-11-2007, 10:46 AM
joe540ci

re:Bob Wilson on tax credits. If or when the phev's such as the Chevy Volt ,prius ect. hit the new car lots-will ther be a new wave of tax credits and how will states make up for the gas taxs lost on lack of gas sales?? (If this ever happens)

Old 11-11-2007, 04:59 PM
joe540ci

"No my friend, the forum is "Government and Taxes," and the subject is and remains the abysmal performance of the corrupt, "
Why is it that on a web site called GREEN HYBRID,That has a section called government & taxes, would it not pretain to gas tax hybrid tax credits and the changes in those taxs when gas goes sky high. Not to mention pure electric vehicles ,PHEV"S which would have to have some influnce on these taxable commodities. PS I enjoy your posts very much so don't get too carried away on this one.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
No my friend, the forum is "Government and Taxes," and the subject is and remains the abysmal performance of the corrupt, closet homosexual, page dating, lying Republican political party and their enablers. At the front of the line are those who use personal attack instead of facing the facts and data.Bob Wilson
D o n ' t c o m m e n t. D o n ' t c o m ...
Oh, why not? Lest we not forget a certain previous President and his escapades with Monica. Oh, was he a Democrat? How quickly we can re-write (or selectively forget) our history lessons

Just a little jab there, Bob.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Why don't the Democrats simply reducing the AMT from current 26%($100k-$175K),28%($175K+) back to the to 20% and 21% rates that existed before Clinton raised them. This would prevent the AMT for most hybrid buyers.

The Democrats instead bundled an AMT reduction with a tax increase by treating some capitol gains as regular income.

The Republicans tried to eliminate the AMT in 1999 but Clinton vetoed that effort. The AMT turned into a tax windfall for the government that it never intended or anticipated from it's onset, it should be eliminated.

I see the Democrats posturing that they'd fix the AMT if only the Republicans would let them. Bush will veto it if it ever gets past the Senate, which it probably won't. A responsible government would eliminate the AMT all together and cut spending to make up for it.

Democrats have already suggested tax increases that would push tax rates way higher than the 28% AMT which would fix the AMT in another way.

Anyone that doesn't feel they are paying enough federal tax is always free to give more than the government requires.

Quick Reply: What if gas goes sky high???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands