Government & Taxes Money, credits and more!

What if gas goes sky high???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:58 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default Re: What if gas goes sky high???

At the front of the line are those who use personal attack instead of facing the facts and data
Like most democrats

Old 11-12-2007, 07:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Let's get closer to the JOE540CI's topic:
Will there be a brake for work vehicles vs.family autos?? I also heard rumors of gas rationing.Anyone have any insight on this
This isn't an evil Republican or dastardly Democrat (In general) thread.

My own $.02 :
Like the proverbial frog in the frying pan, I'd say we already have sky high prices. It's just been incremental.

Should anything happen to disrupt the normal oil trade, then I think everything is on the table including rationing.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Old Boomer Techie

The $100 a barrel oil hasn't impacted the economy yet either. Its still on the tanker somewhere in the mid-Atlantic. It will be another month or six weeks before we know how that impacts the economy in North America!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

In 1978 a full size car cost about $6000, today about $24000. In 1978 gas was $.80 a gallon, today its $3.20. We have had cheap gas for a long time now its just catching up with inflation. Unfortunately its done it all in the last few years. This is why americans aren't cutting back. But wait till it hits $4.50 a gallon.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gumby
D o n ' t c o m m e n t. D o n ' t c o m ...
Oh, why not? Lest we not forget a certain previous President and his escapades with Monica. Oh, was he a Democrat? How quickly we can re-write (or selectively forget) our history lessons

Just a little jab there, Bob.
You forgot the Whitewater scandal and the impeachment too...

Old 11-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
.. if a blow-job would give GW Bush half-a-clue, I would collect money to pay for it.Bob Wilson
Too funny! I'd contribute to your collection.
ALL the country's problems don't get fixed in the Dem years, and now are undone and made worse in the Rep years. That's just TOO SIMPLE an explanation. Despite the rhetoric, I think (hope) most people realize that.

Back to topic.

I think that WHEN gas goes sky-high (not IF), that we'll finally see some sincere movement on reducing our usage - pushed by the government, and by the consumers' changing of preference. This will drive the auto manufacturers to WANT TO build more fuel-efficient vehicles, BOOST research for alternatives to gasoline and diesel. This will ALLOW them to charge more for their fuel-efficient vehicles, as they'll be in much higher demand.

I, also, believe that gas prices have JUST NOW caught up with inflation over the years. We won't see SIGNIFICANT change in our thoughts (in the US) about reducing gas usage until the price climbs another buck or two.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Frankly, if a blow-job would give GW Bush half-a-clue, I would collect money to pay for it.

Bob Wilson
I need half-a-clue.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

My 2 cents...oil companies are making record profits. Exxon made more last year, then the previous 5.

We are being taken advantage of and no one at the Govt. level is willing to stick there neck out to look at it.

I have heard stories of huge reserves in the US, and how we are maintaining them to someday make the US the oil super power. Maybe this is all crap, but the person that told me travels around with big briefcases of money in Africa attempting to buy oil rights.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:15 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arbittan
Whether someone drives a large Hummer or a small Fourtwo, a gas guzzler or a gas sipper, we are all still part of a problem.
We all may be part of the problem, but at least we are trying to reduce the amount of gas we are consuming by driving more fuel effecient cars.

I am saying we all need to look within ourselves before we speak.
Every living thing on this planet is a consumer. I don't know about you, but I only try to purchase/consume items I need. Outside of shelter, my main consumption expense is food, and I will not likely be able to stop consuming that anytime soon.

Someone made a comment on people who drive Hummers don't care how much it cost to fill up, well, honestly they do. The more it cost to fill up, the less they have to invest. But at the sametime, they might not be able to use a small Hybrid car to do certain tasks, like drive people around or climb rugged terrain.
I agree that some people need a larger vehicle/truck to perform their work. However, I do not think that Hummers or any other "off road" vehicle with shiny 20" wheels are used to climb rugged terrain. I would consider the area in which I live, Central Oregon, to be very rugged, mainly because of the many ancient lava flows. Yet, I do not see any signs that these off road vehicles are ever taken off road. The vehicles are usually very clean and even though they have knobby tires, they aren't usually driven off of the pavement. I think this is where all of the criticism comes from with Hummers and such. It is more of a status symbol than a needed ability. People in this category consume more to look cool or fit in. Talk about people who need to look within themselves. You buy what you want, that is your right, but don't expect any sympathy because your decision costs you more money.

Are we going to run out of gas tomorrow, no. Are we going to run out of gas one day, yes! Conserving what we have isn't going to do much, especially since China and India are now posed to become the next big thing. They are growing larger everyday and are buying cars and building roads in great strides...
Sorry, I am not trying to personally attack you or your post, rather, I am hoping to change a thought process and learn as I go. It almost sounds like you would be giving up hope. Something like, why try to conserve since someone else is going to use it anyway. It isn't just China and India that is growing, but almost every country. If all of us try to conserve what we can, a difference can be made. I know this, because I was one of those people driving a crew cab truck with me as the only passenger. I re-evaluated my needs and found that even though I really liked the truck, I wasn't using it for anything other than a daily driver to get to and from work. I traded it in on a hybrid car and have already saved a lot of money in gas and auto insurance. I went from spending $180+ a month in gas with the truck, to around $50 a month with the hybrid. I am one person saving around $1,200 a year in gas. Just think what 100, 1000, or more people could do. Granted I did not partake any hardship to reduce my consumption, but my actions helped to conserve just that much more gas.

Good luck to you in your endeavors.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Enthusiast

My $0.02. Our capitalistic society is based on disposable personal income. We spend it where we choose - there is a reason you cannot find Nintendo Wii consoles or $400 Iphones as some of us choose to spend our disposable income on them.

As gas prices approach $4-$5/gallon, I don't believe the masses will significantly change driving habits. More and more of our disposable income will go towards gas. Sure, there will be people that purchase hybrids and change habits (such as those on this forum), but in my opinion that is a drop in the bucket - just look at the year over year gas consumption increase, it has shown NO signs of abating.

The total number of hybrids sold so far is tiny relative to the overall number of cars and trucks sold in the U.S. in even one year. Sure, there is progress, but if you've analyzed the numbers of gas guzzling pickup trucks/Suvs sold it's still incredible.

My brother is an example of what I'm talking about. Lives in rural area, commutes about 50 miles round trip to work, has always owned a pickup as long as I remember. What's he doing about gas prices? He's not buying a Xbox 360, pirates all his music and movies, and does ALL his shopping at the Walmart supercenter down the road. At this point, he has no intention of changing his vehicle and neither his friends.

Did anyone see the Walmart guidance? The middle class is really moving towards Walmart now, and malls may suffer this holiday season.

I'm not saying we won't see serious pain at European gas prices, but honestly India and China will bust at some point, which will temporarily alleviate peak oil concerns, I don't see gas prices relentlessly march up, but incrementally with ups and downs along the way due to global events, etc.

IMHO, our government has subsidized oil consumption since WW2, mainly through the military industrial complex activities in the middle east. The current incarnation is the Iraq war, unfortunately it has the opposite effect, an oil premium. Why not move this subsidy into an Apollo scale, alternative energy program as suggested by Thomas Friedman and championed by those such as Gore/ Bill Richardson. We need a breakthrough technology that can get people REALLY excited about alternative energy. We need serious government incentives for alternative energy technologies, both for consumer and industry.

We have to lead and show the world there is another way. Denmark/France/lowland Euro block countries have shown wind/tidal energy advances on small scale, but we need to perfect and implement mass alternative energy. We have to minimize the influence of quasi-terrorist states and limit emerging oil power nations like Russia/Venezuala, etc.

Last edited by teperilloux; 11-17-2007 at 12:03 PM.

Quick Reply: What if gas goes sky high???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands