Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Nissan Altima Hybrid/Infiniti M35h/ Q50 hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/nissan-altima-hybrid-infiniti-m35h-q50-hybrid-58/)
-   -   '07 NAH intermittent start problems (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/nissan-altima-hybrid-infiniti-m35h-q50-hybrid-58/07-nah-intermittent-start-problems-21729/)

NAH driver 05-13-2009 06:43 PM

'07 NAH intermittent start problems

Please help! (The dealer has been useless!)
December '07 bought a new 07 NAH. Worked fine, love it, proud of being green, etc.

17 months and 20,000 miles later, I'm having intermittent start problems. It began about a month ago. Press brake, press button (keyfob in purse), ACC comes on but green READY light does not. Press button again, car turns off. Start the sequence all over again and sometimes it starts, sometimes not. Plug the fob into the hole on the dash -- sometimes it starts, sometimes not. Tried extra keyfob, no difference.

Now it rarely starts. Owner's manual says if keyfob battery is low a display light indicating such will show, but it never did. Took it to dealer, who couldn't recreate the problem and said there were no recalls on this model.

Drove home into my garage, turned it off and could not turn it on again! Read numerous posts here about cell phone intereference and have tried all sorts of different locations for cell phone and garage door remote, but can't figure out what the problem is. Teenage son earned his keep by pushing my car out of garage onto driveway where I put it back into PARK and was able to start the car.

Today purchased new battery for keyfob and still will only start intermittently. This happens around town as well as in my garage, but mostly in the garage. This makes me think it might be the garage door opener, but why all of a sudden and WHAT DO I DO ABOUT IT???

Thanks for letting me rant and for any help!

langjie 05-14-2009 08:45 AM

Re: '07 NAH intermittent start problems

go back to the dealership and try to recreate the problem.

my guess is it has nothing to do with the fobs since it will go to ACC mode meaning it senses the key. maybe it could be the battery?

sward 05-17-2009 08:46 AM

I agree, it probably has nothing to do with the key fob - especially since you had the same problem when the fob was plugged in physically. The behavior sounds more like what happens when you try to start without fully depressing the brake. Perhaps it isn't properly sensing that the brake pedal is down?

If the dealer can't diagnose this, and there's another dealer anywhere nearby, I'd try a different dealer.

jbedred 07-27-2010 01:11 PM

Did you ever discover what was causing these issues? I have an 07 NAH and it has just started doing the same thing over the last month.

Please help!

yu888 07-28-2010 11:12 AM

One known issue with altimas in general has been this lack of starting and it seems it is often a faulty or loose brake pedal switch. the car starts only if the brake is applied. Well if that switch acts up and it can sense the pedal being stepped down, it will not start. So I would start by having someone check that/

maildfrelix 09-13-2010 11:30 AM

I own a 2007 NAH and have been plagued by this start problem. I am a single woman and have been left stranded in potentially dangerous situations when the car would not start late at night. The dealer acts as though it's no big deal. However, just today the car had to be towed from Oakland to the dealer in Millbrae when it would not start after I landed at Oakland International around 11:00 pm last night. In late 2009, the car would not start and had to be towed to the dealer. They determined the $5K battery was defective. Today, I've just learned that that "new" battery has a bad cell and is defective.

When I brought the car to the dealer last month re this same problem, they suggested it MAY be a brake switch problem. Today, they added it MAY be a start button problem. I think something MAY be draining or causing damage to the battery. However, all of the above are simply guesses. If anyone in the NAH community learns the source of this problem, would you PLEASE let me know!

tomscot2 09-14-2010 05:26 PM

We had the same problem. It turned out to be the brake light switch was out of adjustment.

The next time it does not start, check to see if the brake lights come on when you depress the brake pedal. If not, then it is the brake light switch.

yu888 09-16-2010 12:33 AM

just a suggestion Maildfrelix: Given Daland Nissan's reputation, I would venture to say perhaps you could try another dealership?
http://www.yelp.com/biz/daland-nissan-inc-millbrae

maildfrelix 09-16-2010 08:09 AM

Thank you yu888, but Serramonte Nissan is the WORST. I also tried Oakland Nissan. They actually Does a decent Nissan dealershio exist? If so, can anyone recommend a good Nissan dealership or sevice department?

maildfrelix 09-16-2010 08:14 AM

Sorry, following's my corrected post.

Thank you yu888, but Serramonte Nissan is the WORST. I also tried Oakland Nissan. They actually scratched my new car and never bothered to return my calls about it.

Does a decent Nissan dealership exist? If so, can anyone recommend a good Nissan dealership or sevice department?