Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Nissan Altima Hybrid/Infiniti M35h/ Q50 hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/nissan-altima-hybrid-infiniti-m35h-q50-hybrid-58/)
-   -   12 v battery dead when parked out in cold (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/nissan-altima-hybrid-infiniti-m35h-q50-hybrid-58/12-v-battery-dead-when-parked-out-cold-30719/)

tuborg_14 03-07-2016 11:24 AM

12 v battery dead when parked out in cold

Hi
I bought my used NAH 2008 in 2012. I think it was the best decision i made. I love this car a lot. I am in Alberta, Canada. For winters here I drive my SUV instead of my NAH. It is parked in garage all winters.
Last week I had to empty out the garage and so I parked my NAH out for couple of days. Then I tried to start it but it did not respond at all. I had to open the door with the key from the fob. I guess the battery is dead.
I don't know what to do. should I buy a new battery or charge this battery or try to jump start it and then drive it for a while, so that it is charged?
I started in first press of a button in garage, only when parked outside in cold it went dead. what should I do?
Any help is appreciated...
Thanks in advance

tomscot2 03-09-2016 06:59 PM

Re: 12 v battery dead when parked out in cold

The best bet is to charge the battery with a battery charger, especially since you are not driving it much during the winter. If you just jump start it, you will have to drive it around it a lot to get fully charged in order to put it back in the garage.

The jump start and drive around a little only works when you are driving it every day after that.

But what do I know, I live in San Diego (although I did spend 12 years in Alaska).

tuborg_14 03-11-2016 12:12 AM

Re: 12 v battery dead when parked out in cold

I was thinking the same. To charge the battery and see if it is still good. Then after charging, disconnect the negative terminal , so the battery does not drains.
Is there a special requirement for charging the battery or any charger would do the work?

Thanks

(update)

I jump started the car and went for a long drive. It seems the battery is charged now, and with the snow almost gone now , I will start driving my altima regularly.

Thanks a lot...