Blowin' out the carbon

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Blowin' out the carbon

On two different occasions I have noticed my car belched out a bit of smoke when I accelerated hard, both times on to a highway. It made me wonder, since most of the time I am really lugging the engine around town, if these engines are prone to a bit of buildup. Has anyone else noticed a bit of smoke during hard acceleration? I'm thinking a bottle of Techron once in a while might be in order.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Blowin' out the carbon

While I haven't noticed black smoke, I notice some black residue that is on the chrome of the tailpipes.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steved28
On two different occasions I have noticed my car belched out a bit of smoke when I accelerated hard, both times on to a highway. It made me wonder, since most of the time I am really lugging the engine around town, if these engines are prone to a bit of buildup. Has anyone else noticed a bit of smoke during hard acceleration? I'm thinking a bottle of Techron once in a while might be in order.

Was your car not fully warmed up? I usually get more smoke while the car is still cold, but certainly nothing excessive.

Otherwise, every once in a while I gun down my car (love those lame riced up civics that line up next to me with the intention to have some fun with a hybrid, but end up regretting it for the rest of the day) and I don't notice any smoke.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Enthusiast

There is a service bulletin in regards to carbon build-up due to the increased amount of engine start-up with the hybrids. The dealership will swap out the manifold if it is too severe.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jasonfrancois
There is a service bulletin in regards to carbon build-up due to the increased amount of engine start-up with the hybrids. The dealership will swap out the manifold if it is too severe.
Can you please provide the TSB number for this? I have never seen this one.

Thanks

Old 06-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Enthusiast

Not sure of the TSB, when I bought the car, I took it to the dealership for a once-over and the service writer asked if I would like the service for the service bulletins performed and that was one of the bulletins. I can call him and get the actual number if you like.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jasonfrancois
Not sure of the TSB, when I bought the car, I took it to the dealership for a once-over and the service writer asked if I would like the service for the service bulletins performed and that was one of the bulletins. I can call him and get the actual number if you like.
yes, please!