Bluetooth overhead microphone quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Bluetooth overhead microphone quality

Although I love the bluetooth and being able to answer/hear calls handsfree, everyone I speak with tells me they have a hard time hearing me - at least while driving (windows closed, blower off/low). For longer calls I wind up going right to the phone.

Any suggestions for improving the mic quality? Is this a known problem? Or maybe I need to get it replaced (still under warranty). Thanks!
Bob

Old 06-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bluetooth overhead microphone quality

yeah, it's a known problem. 1st generation bluetooth mics, what can you do?

It's ok for me since I don't have conversations in my car while driving (just a call to the gf to tell her I'm around) but I didn't bother with the bluetooth when I was talking to a bank.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Bluetooth overhead microphone quality

Originally Posted by langjie
yeah, it's a known problem. 1st generation bluetooth mics, what can you do?

It's ok for me since I don't have conversations in my car while driving (just a call to the gf to tell her I'm around) but I didn't bother with the bluetooth when I was talking to a bank.
Thanks - figured as much. Assuming the mic is hardwired, it would be possible to replace it with a better one. Technically possible, that is. Personally, I don't want to invest the effort as I'm sure it'll be a real PITA to do it.
Bob

Old 06-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

I agree, at the very least, you can probably mention it to your dealer. Maybe they'll replace it for free and you can see if it helps a little bit. I don't think it'll ever be great though.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Enthusiast

The mic is hidden in the small vent (3 slats) by the map lights. But if you try to pull down that panel, you'll end up having a hard time putting it back up as it's two pieces and need to be assembled with the headliner pulled down. I installed a microphone up there for my aftermarket bluetooth phone kit (Parrot Bluetooth 3100.) Everyone comments that it's hard to hear me once I get above 40 mph. I installed dynamat directly to the inside of the roof, and covered that with a layer of sound deadening foam mat hoping that would quiet things down. It helped a little, but didn't solve the problem.

My ultimate solution? I plug an earbud and microphone into my phone when I need to chat while driving. Simplest solution, cost efficient, and the most effective.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Enthusiast
Wink Re: Bluetooth overhead microphone quality

Originally Posted by rtking
The mic is hidden in the small vent (3 slats) by the map lights. But if you try to pull down that panel, you'll end up having a hard time putting it back up as it's two pieces and need to be assembled with the headliner pulled down. I installed a microphone up there for my aftermarket bluetooth phone kit (Parrot Bluetooth 3100.) Everyone comments that it's hard to hear me once I get above 40 mph. I installed dynamat directly to the inside of the roof, and covered that with a layer of sound deadening foam mat hoping that would quiet things down. It helped a little, but didn't solve the problem.

My ultimate solution? I plug an earbud and microphone into my phone when I need to chat while driving. Simplest solution, cost efficient, and the most effective.
One of my EE teachers always said "Keep it simple stupid!" as I was always over-engineering things. Thanks!!
Bob

Old 06-11-2009, 05:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rps944
One of my EE teachers always said "Keep it simple stupid!" as I was always over-engineering things. Thanks!!
Bob
Oh man. "EE" - can't spell "geek" without it!

Eph
BSEE '86

Old 04-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Enthusiast

Regarding the 2008 Altima Bose mic problem. The mic is terrible. Here is a link on how to replace it...
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...tml#post251915