Brake regen

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 05:22 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Brake regen

So, my assumption has been that, the lighter you push the brake, the more likely that the braking will be entirely regenerative. Does anyone know for certain when the friction pads kick in? If your needle remains "in the blue" and not pegged down at the low end, can we assume it's all regenerative?

Eph

Old 05-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Brake regen

I don't think it matters how light you push as long as you don't stomp or panic break, which will activate the pads.

Yes, as long as the needle is in the blue, you are regenerating.

The pads always kick in under 5 MPH.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

So, are you saying that, as long as the needle is not pegged down at the bottom of the blue, it's ALL regen and no pad?

Old 05-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Pegged down at the bottom is all regen as well. The only time the pads are used is when the breaks are slammed at any speed, or the car is under 5 MPH, which is all pad. If there is partial use of the pads at some point, I am unaware of when or how. Pegged down in the blue is maximum regen, not pads engaging. When the needle goes to 0 is when the pads are engaged and you are no longer regenerating.

The reason the experts recommend not breaking much is that coasting or light breaking for longer times, ultimately creates more stored energy then short intense charging, assuming you have room in the battery. Temperature also comes into effect as the battery sensor stops regen if it thinks the battery is 100 degrees. On my car, this happens when the temperature reading on the dash is between 88 and 95 degrees. You will actually see the needle stay close to zero no matter when you break. Air conditioning is the only thing that seems to work at that point as the vent is the only cooling system the NAH has.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've actually been experimenting with coasting in neutral, especially when my battery is low. Seems to be helping. Clearly, on steep downhill grades, you want to coast in gear to charge the battery. But, there is clearly an advantage to coasting in N from a distance-travelled standpoint. It also gives better instantaneous mpg on my ScanGauge, especially when driving below 50mph.

Back to brakes and regen. Seems to me that there is probably a gentle switch from regen to brakes rather than an on/off as you indicate. Is the 5mph pads-only documented somewhere?

Prius drivers probably have a much better feel for this.
I know we have the basic Prius/Camry EV motor. Anybody know whether we share the brake regen system with those cars, too? If so, I'll do some research on other forums and report back.

Eph