Cat's Meow...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Cat's Meow...

I've been searching the owner's manual and internet, and haven't been able to find an answer to this question, "Why does my '08 NAH meow every time I drive into downtown Harrisburg, PA?"

It's the oddest thing. I work in the Capitol Complex area, and every time I approach the downtown area, just south of the Capitol, the audio system emits several short cat meows! I'm not making this up. My carpool rolls on the floor laughing each time we pull in, and I haven't been able to find an explanation anywhere. It only does it when entering the area, however, not when leaving...

It's definitely based on geographic location so, I thought it could also be related to the navigation system but, I haven't found an explanation in any documentation there, either. Other possibilities that I've considered are; 1) Some kind of transmitter is sending out the signal that my NAH picks up every time I drive into the "specified zone," or 2) Some setting in the navigation system is alerting me to something, based on entering the "specified zone."

Has anyone experienced this in other cities, or in Harrisburg, also? I'm at a loss, and it's something that I really need to find an explanation for, if only to provide validation to my carpool!

Old 01-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Cat's Meow...

Hello and welcome,

While I have never heard my NAH meow before, I have had interference from rotating radar units (found at airports, military bases, weather stations) make strange noises in other cars.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks very much for your response. I'm thinking that interference might sound different from a meow but, perhaps one of the things that you mentioned is indeed the culprit. It certainly lends levity to the morning commute, just wish I knew where it came from!

Old 02-23-2009, 05:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Check your navigation system settings. I have an Infiniti with nav. It has a setting where the system will sound off a variety of sounds when you are close to one of your landmarks (home, work, etc.). A "meow" is one of the settings. Mine was set to seagulls. It was very annoying. I played around with it and found the menu and set it to "none." I am sure the NAH has the same feature.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think Frankie is right. You can assign "sounds" to each of your contacts in your contact book & address book. Try this.

Press Setup > Navigation > Stored Location > "select a location close to the meow" > Edit > Sound

These are the available sounds:
None
Chime
Melody
Sound
Dog
Cat <<< We have a winner.
Wave
Church bell
Music box 1
Music box 2
Marimba
Trumpet
Horn
Scratch

Last edited by stephen431; 02-23-2009 at 11:26 AM.