Engine shuts off on highspeed to EV Mode - p0a94 p0ac4

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 08:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default Engine shuts off on highspeed to EV Mode - p0a94 p0ac4

Hello to all,

I have Altima Hybrid 2011 which performs fine expect weird problem happening only at higher speeds, usually anywhere over 50 MPH.
Engine shuts off and switch to EV Mode, I get check engine, VDC, hybrid system kicks in and I have to drive into shoulder lane to turn it OFF and then then back ON in order to drive way. Fine afterwords. This problem never happens in the city driving conditions. Codes would disappear after 4th time turning on the car unless I go onto highway again.

These are the codes:
p0a94
p0ac4

P.S. I inspected battery, all cells ~7.4v, cleaned contacts. Fan works. I'm pretty sure it's not related to the battery.

Last edited by CTguy; 07-20-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine shuts off on highspeed to EV Mode - p0a94 p0ac4

What aren't you telling us?

Old 06-29-2019, 12:47 PM
Enthusiast

Is there something else suppose to be? I guess I don't know where to look. Let me know.
Transmission shifts fine and smooth (well it's cvt nothing to shift objectively), tranny doesn't overheat, engine runs no problem. idk

Last edited by CTguy; 07-20-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:25 PM

You're making us look through a key hole at this problem. What is your history with the car? Did you just get it? At auction? Has it been trouble free for you for 100K miles? Was it recently crashed and restored? Are you trying to flip it?

Is it the original battery? Why did you muck with the battery when you weren't getting battery related codes?

Your car has a CVT. It never "shifts fine and smooth". It never shifts at all. Ever.

P0A94 is a DC-DC converter performance issue.
P0AC4 is a faulty Hybrid Powertrain Control Module.

Did you get these codes before or after you mucked with the battery?

Old 07-15-2019, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast

yes, i'm preparing the car for sale. fixed everything just want to figure out what is going on with that problem, objectivly it's powertrain controle module or around.
i just wanted a second opinion so i could fix it and sell. moving down south and this car will be a burden sitting at my parents yard (pulling another car already and no opportunity to bring this one with me).
just want to avoid "replace the part" for diagnostic reasons. in the same time be fair to whoever will buy it. labor mechanic work is not a problem for me. just sometimes hard to pin point what it could be and i have no time to replace blatantly everything.

Originally Posted by S Keith
Did you get these codes before or after you mucked with the battery?
before.

Last edited by CTguy; 07-20-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:36 PM

To avoid the "replace the part" trap, you likely need to get a subscription to Nissan's tech data:

https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/deptsubs.aspx

$20 for one day, $75 for a month.

You will get complete access to the service manuals that have the full diagnostic steps. You may also have incomplete info (missing codes) as standard code readers fail to read a lot of hybrid codes. You'll need the Nissan Consult III or something higher end by Bosch, Snap-on or other "pro" option.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:14 PM
Enthusiast

To avoid the "replace the part" trap, you likely need to get a subscription to Nissan's tech data:

https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/deptsubs.aspx

$20 for one day, $75 for a month.

You will get complete access to the service manuals that have the full diagnostic steps. You may also have incomplete info (missing codes) as standard code readers fail to read a lot of hybrid codes. You'll need the Nissan Consult III or something higher end by Bosch, Snap-on or other "pro" option.
Autozone check probably use the cheap non-informative ones right

Old 07-15-2019, 04:18 PM

Without a doubt. I've had many instances where Autozone fails to read a code that is present and can be read by a cheap bluetooth OBDII reader.

O'Reilly uses Bosch readers, so I always choose them. They are the only parts store that have read codes that I KNOW will not pull up on a "consumer" grade reader.

A diagnostic at the dealership for $120-150 + $75 in service manuals may help you save a lot of money OR help you determine that this car is destined for the junk yard....

Old 07-15-2019, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast

Without a doubt. I've had many instances where Autozone fails to read a code that is present and can be read by a cheap bluetooth OBDII reader.

O'Reilly uses Bosch readers, so I always choose them. They are the only parts store that have read codes that I KNOW will not pull up on a "consumer" grade reader.

A diagnostic at the dealership for $120-150 + $75 in service manuals may help you save a lot of money OR help you determine that this car is destined for the junk yard....

I will start from O'Reilly to see if they will pull any sub-codes and then will see what is going on.

Last edited by CTguy; 07-20-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:17 PM

They can't pull subcodes or "detail" codes, but they can read codes consumer readers can't.

Quick Reply: Engine shuts off on highspeed to EV Mode - p0a94 p0ac4

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands