Gas and warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Gas and warning Light

Ok, new to the Hybrid family. But I need some answers anyone. Family took our first driving weekend and at a quarter tank the warning light came on saying I needed to get gas. It surprised me as I was expecting it to come on closer to the empty line. Added fuel 16.1 gallons and I am assuming I still had 4 gallons in the tank. And that I really did not need to add fuel when the light comes on but it is big and scary as it flashes at you. Has anyone elase experienced this. We were at 484 miles on 16.1 gallons so average 30 MPG at that point. I was driving between 65-75 MPH on the drive, fully loaded down in my small trunk with two boys in the back seats. Comings from a 8 MPG truck 30 MPG is a blessing.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Gas and warning Light

Hello and Welcome,

This is a well known and well discussed issue.

The computer seems to be set to countdown 16 gallons of gas. It also does not check the actual amount of gas in the tank, but uses calculations instead.

My theory is that the software folks were told they were only getting an 18 gallon tank or they were given the programing from the Camry (which only has an 18 gallon tank). Counting down to 16 with 2 gallons "reserve" makes sense but 4 gallons is over 100 miles of driving you could still do.

I took a trip from Central NJ to VA, tooled around Maryland for several days and went back to NJ. I averaged 37 MPG, drove over 620 miles, about 40 of those on "empty", and still had 3 gallons in my tank at fill-up.

Things we keep in mind. Even in winter, when MPG is at it's lowest, the NAH can always get 500+ miles, so we always reset our trip odometers and the MPG dash computer at each fill-up and never even worry about gas until 500 miles is met. We also remember to never panic if we hit the "empty" countdown because there is always 3 to 4 more gallons of gas in the tank. There is no final "really out of gas" warning so you should fill up after the warning, but there is no need to panic, you have plenty of gas to finish what you are doing and get to a station.

Best Wishes

Last edited by Ian33; 12-18-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you very much for the post it is great information. We our absolutely excited about going green and are looking into getting rid of our Chevy Tahoe next. Recomendations for a traveling family that needs trunk room for baseball equipment? Ford and Mercury Hybrids SUV's make me nervous because of the name brand. Do not want to go to the new chevy hybrid tahoe, gas mileage for trade off of space is too small.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Enthusiast

Yah, the whole gas gauge deal is pretty poor engineering IMHO...

Take a look at the Toyota Highlander, I believe it uses the same Synergy Drive as NAH and the Camry. Toyota is light years ahead of the game!!!

Old 07-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Gas and warning Light - Ran out of Gas

Originally Posted by Tim A
Yah, the whole gas gauge deal is pretty poor engineering IMHO...
I agree, after running out of gas this last weekend. My wife and I both drive the car. I was not sure when the warning came on but I assumed that the gas gauge indicator would continue to dip well below the E. It only went about one indicator width below the E.

The experience was interesting. I was on my way to the gas station. I got about a half mile away and the ICE failed to come on as I accelerated up the 3% grade on 55 mph road. In horror I watched the charge needle drop like a rock while I maintained 35 mph in EV mode. However I made it to the gas station and pulled up in line. I immediately shut everything down as the charge meter was at the bottom of the blue. When the space opened up the car moved about 10 feet and then died with 5 feet left to go. I pushed it to the pump.

I am happy to report that the ICE started immediately after filling the tank with 20.004 gallons of gas.

The early warning system resulted in on overoptimistic expectation of what was left in the tank.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I agree, the early warning is much too early. I go mostly by the trip computer, although you have to adjust for seasonal differences (I've had tanks ranging from 500+ to 750 miles, depending on the season and the driving pattern, which leaves a lot of room for uncertainty).

Old 07-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Gas and warning Light - Ran out of Gas

Originally Posted by tomscot2
I agree, after running out of gas this last weekend. My wife and I both drive the car. I was not sure when the warning came on but I assumed that the gas gauge indicator would continue to dip well below the E. It only went about one indicator width below the E.

The experience was interesting. I was on my way to the gas station. I got about a half mile away and the ICE failed to come on as I accelerated up the 3% grade on 55 miles per hour road. In horror I watched the charge needle drop like a rock while I maintained 35 miles per hour in EV mode. However I made it to the gas station and pulled up in line. I immediately shut everything down as the charge meter was at the bottom of the blue. When the space opened up the car moved about 10 feet and then died with 5 feet left to go. I pushed it to the pump.

I am happy to report that the ICE started immediately after filling the tank with 20.004 gallons of gas.

The early warning system resulted in on overoptimistic expectation of what was left in the tank.

if you wanted to time your gas & EV mode running out right as you pulled into a gas station you couldn't have done it... Props on your accomplishment :-)

Old 07-15-2008, 05:51 AM
Enthusiast

My indicator light comes on when the range indicator say it has 50 miles left on the tank. I was on vacation myself this weekend and filled mine up when it had 35 miles left and the tank; it filled up 17 gallons it is extremely deciving.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Anybody know whether this is something that MIGHT/COULD be fixed/adjusted in the future with a computer reprogramming at the dealership?

Thanks,
Eph

Last edited by cephraim; 07-15-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:51 PM
Banned

It is just the poor programming of the fuel gauge. I think they put it too early even if you still have lots of fuel. Just look on the good side you will never be empty.