HID Headlight Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default HID Headlight Questions

I just bought an '09 Altima Hybrid with the Convenience Package.

I wanted to change a few things about the car, the first thing I want to do is change the headlights. Here's a few things I am unclear on regarding the headlights.

1) What is the bulb type of the 2009 Altima Hybrid, H1 or H11?

From this link: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...p-bulbs-21836/
It seems that the 2008 bulb type is different than what the manual states.

Is this true for the 2009 NAH as well?

2) When I called the dealer to ask about HID headlights for his car the parts and service guys said this car isn't designed for HID lights. The reason they gave is that this car has a different wiring harness that wouldn't allow HID's to be installed.

I'm just looking for some clarification as to whether this is true or not. Or how I could go about installing HID lights.

3) Are the stock headlight housing's Projectors or Reflectors?
- I'm thinking they are reflectors, just wanted confirmation.

4) From what I've read in forums, if these are reflector type housings then installing HID's will blind on coming traffic. Is there a work-around to this? or do I have to find a way to change the housing? I've searched for an answer to that and came up with nothing.

5) When I spoke to the parts and service guys at the dealer, they said installing HID lights might void my electrical warranty. Can anyone confirm this?
- I don't think it would void the warranty but I just want to make sure.

6) I was considering buying an HID kit from retro-solutions.
http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...its/Categories

Not sure if I need the H1 or H11 kits.

Also, would the Bulb Coating service they offer be an acceptable work-around to reduce the glare to on-coming traffic for Reflector type housings?
http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...ous/Categories

Old 09-22-2009, 06:14 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HID Headlight Questions

Originally Posted by 09altimahybrid
I just bought an '09 Altima Hybrid with the Convenience Package.

I wanted to change a few things about the car, the first thing I want to do is change the headlights. Here's a few things I am unclear on regarding the headlights.

1) What is the bulb type of the 2009 Altima Hybrid, H1 or H11?

From this link: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...p-bulbs-21836/
It seems that the 2008 bulb type is different than what the manual states.

Is this true for the 2009 NAH as well?
I have H11 for my 2007, fwiw

2) When I called the dealer to ask about HID headlights for his car the parts and service guys said this car isn't designed for HID lights. The reason they gave is that this car has a different wiring harness that wouldn't allow HID's to be installed.

I'm just looking for some clarification as to whether this is true or not. Or how I could go about installing HID lights.
It's the harness and the housing. The housing isn't designed for HID's so there is extra scatter

3) Are the stock headlight housing's Projectors or Reflectors?
- I'm thinking they are reflectors, just wanted confirmation.
Reflectors, projectors look like a glass ball

4) From what I've read in forums, if these are reflector type housings then installing HID's will blind on coming traffic. Is there a work-around to this? or do I have to find a way to change the housing? I've searched for an answer to that and came up with nothing.
It really depends, if you point them up, then yes, you can blind on-coming traffic. I try to point my lights down. I don't think I blind anyone.

5) When I spoke to the parts and service guys at the dealer, they said installing HID lights might void my electrical warranty. Can anyone confirm this?
- I don't think it would void the warranty but I just want to make sure.
It really shouldn't, it uses less watts then a standard halogen bulb (35W vs 55W). If you ever have a problem with your electrical, just take off the HID's before bringing it to the dealer (kind of a PITA!). Or, you can get the relay type harness which definitely won't affect the electricals.

6) I was considering buying an HID kit from retro-solutions.
http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...its/Categories

Not sure if I need the H1 or H11 kits.

Also, would the Bulb Coating service they offer be an acceptable work-around to reduce the glare to on-coming traffic for Reflector type housings?
http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...ous/Categories
The bulb coating service may work but not sure if it's worth $50. Plus it might also lower the life of the bulb. Aftermarket HID kit quality is debatable, you kind of just need to try them out.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:13 AM
Enthusiast

I am going to stop by a couple car shops today and tomorrow to see what they say about the install.

I haven't ordered the kit yet, after speaking to the shops I will decide whether or not I am going to follow through with this.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

you didn't want to do it yourself?

Old 09-26-2009, 04:37 AM
Enthusiast

I'm not too familiar with headlight installations. I've read enough about how to do it, but I'd rather let someone that does this type of work often take care of it.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:20 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 09altimahybrid
I'm not too familiar with headlight installations. I've read enough about how to do it, but I'd rather let someone that does this type of work often take care of it.
In case you haven't been "confirmed"... those are reflectors. It's pretty easily to know if it's a projector, since they have the circular lens.

As a precaution, you should know, if you drop a HID kit directly into the reflector housing, your mileage will vary on how they perform.

I currently drive a 99.5 Pathfinder (borrowing from my brother-in-law, and thinking about buying a Honda Insight)... and I'm currently on my second HID kit drop-in.

My first kit was actually really good. Although my headlight aim was actually too low before I fixed it... it had a really good cutoff line. And while the overall pattern was the same as the halogens, I did not get flashed with them, even when I was on an incline with my lights pointing higher than normal. I had them shining all over a police car a few times. Unfortunately, one bulb burned out (3 months).

With that burnt out bulb, I figured I'd try a completely new set (different brand too). BIG MISTAKE. One bulb came crooked... and regardless of which was on which side, neither of the new bulbs produced a any kind of cutoff. Sure, you could kinda make out a cutoff "area"... but there was no line (it just fades as it goes up). And as expected, I get flashed pretty often. (*note, the problem is, before I ever changed any bulbs, I was using stock halogens that had dimmed, and I got flashed too!). One ballast failed after a little bit (two weeks maybe?).

I've had some other issues, that are only barely related to the topic at hand... but not that useful right now.

So, at the moment, I've got a combination of ballast from old set with bulbs and wiring harness from new set.

So yeah, your mileage will vary.

I had thought the Honda Insight came with HIDs, since I saw projector housing, but I later found out, it's projectors alright, for halogens. So, now I have to wonder... how "compatible" they will be with HIDs (if I'm unsatisfied with the halogen in projectors).

Old 10-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast

i just bought an hid kit from 3b specialties.

right now there is a coupon code "DC2" which give you $40 off.

i'll try to post pics once i get them installed.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Have you installed the HIDs yet?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast

yes i got them installed last week. i have 1 more picture to take and ill post them up.

it was raining the day i got them installed so i couldn't stand outside and take the pictures.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Are you able to see better with the HIDS? How's the light scatter and cutoff? Was the bumper cover removed?

Quick Reply: HID Headlight Questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands