intermittent start problems, now it wont at all!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation intermittent start problems, now it wont at all!!

I'm having intermittent start problems. It began about a month ago. Press brake, press button (keyfob in purse), ACC comes on but green READY light does not. Press button again, car turns off. Start the sequence all over again and sometimes it starts, sometimes not. Plug the fob into the hole on the dash -- sometimes it starts, sometimes not. Tried extra keyfob, no difference. Owner's manual says if keyfob battery is low a display light indicating such will show, but it never did.

Now it wont start AT ALL!!! bought new battery and it still wont start!!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: intermittent start problems, now it wont at all!!

We had a similar problem recently with our 3 year old NAH. It turned out to be a dislodged brake light switch that is activated when you press the brake pedal. This same switch is used to tell the car to start the engine when the brake pedal is depressed. You can confirm it by checking to see if your brake lights come on when you press the brake pedal.

Good luck

Old 08-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

it also sounds to me like the brake is not depressed properly, else it wouldn't go into ACC mode

Old 08-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

yeah the 2.5 and 3.5 gas engine ALtima guys have been discussing that issue for awhile. Seems that switch has been know to wear out prematurely causing starting issues.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Enthusiast

Can anyone tell me if switch would be covered by a bumper to bumper warranty on the Nissan Altima Hybrid????

Old 11-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by knolter22
Can anyone tell me if switch would be covered by a bumper to bumper warranty on the Nissan Altima Hybrid????
I can't say yes for sure, but I don't know why it would not be covered. There is a Technical Bulletin: NTB10-139, attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
NTB10-139.pdf (1.08 MB, 4265 views)
Old 11-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast

Hey guys,

Have had intermittent start-up issues with 2008 Altima Hybrid and gone back and forth with dealership regarding possible causes including key fob, brake switch, battery, and now the NAV system being indicated as the culprit.

The key fob and brake switch I did myself after being quoted a ridiculous price from the dealership and discovered that they were not the cause. Battery replacement ran $500 which saw me seeing red after not being able to find reliable info on the net to do it myself.

The dealership quoted $6k... yeah, six thousand to fix and/or replace the NAV system which apparently has a short in it that interferes with the electrical system of the car.

Does anyone have experience replacing the NAV system on an Altima Hybrid, or known anyone who has? What would you recommend? Thanks for your help in advance!