Key Fob VS. Cell Phone

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 07:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Key Fob VS. Cell Phone

Have any of you had trouble with your cell phone reprogramming your key fob? Nissan sent us a warning letter a few weeks ago stating that the fob must be at least an inch away from a cell phone or the phone might reprogram it rendering it useless. Apparently this affects all 2007 Altimas. They are supposed to send us new fobs soon, but so far this has not been a problem. I could not find an official message from Nissan on their website but here is an article on this problem.

http://www.articlesbase.com/autos-ar...ey-154944.html

Old 07-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Nissan warns U.S. cellphones can disable car keys

I was forwarded this news article by my Sprint/Nextel rep!!

DETROIT (Reuters) - Nissan North America has a warning for customers: placing your electronic key too close to your cellphone could leave you stranded.
The automaker is asking customers driving new models of two of its flagship sedans to keep their car keys and cellphones at least an inch apart to avoid disabling the "intelligent keys."
Cellphones kept near Nissan's I-Keys -- wireless devices designed to allow drivers to enter and start their cars at the push of a button -- can erase the electronic code on the keys, rendering them unable to unlock or start the cars.
The problem has occurred on the 2007 Nissan Altima and Infiniti G35 sedans -- two of their top-selling models, the company said on Thursday.
"We discovered that if the I-Key touches a cellphone, outgoing or incoming calls have the potential to alter the electronic code inside the I-Key," Nissan spokesman Kyle Bazemore said.
"The car won't start and the I-Key cannot be reprogrammed," he added.
The problem has occurred in a "very small percentage" of cars sold, Bazemore said. He also said a new version of the I-Key would be available in the fall.
Bazemore said current owners have been notified of the potential glitch via mail and can get new keys from dealers if they encounter the problem.

© Reuters 2007. All rights reserved.

http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...4?feedType=RSS

Old 07-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Key Fob VS. Cell Phone

Just curious - do you think Nissan will allow owners to keep the old remotes when they receive the new ones? Of what use would the old ones be to Nissan? - Unless they don't want the liability of someone getting stranded when they still use the old version instead of turning it in.

Edit - Just had a thought. The remotes also have the physical key attached. I would assume Nissan will just be sending out the new remotes minus the key. The dealer will probably program the new remotes and then swap out the keys from the old remotes so, on considering this, I doubt we'll be able to keep the old remotes.

It would have been nice if they could have just sent these to us in the mail without the hassle of having to go to the dealer.

Last edited by lloyd123; 07-03-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

I keep my fob and my cell phone in my purse. After getting the letter I made sure they were on opposite sides of my purse... not a huge distance... but so far no problems.

My husband was carrying his fob in the same pocket he attached his cell phone to... they pretty much touched... and he didn't have any problem. He has a Nextel... so maybe this problem is cell phone type specific. After getting the letter he put his fob in the other pocket.

We are both getting I-Phones this week... so I am a little concerned with keeping my fob away from the I-Phone. (BTW... it any of you haven't seen it yet... the I-Phone is a dream come true. I am completly not technology savvy... and it is so intuitive a person like me can pick it up and use it immediately. My husband travels a lot on business... and this saves him from having to carry a laptop. It is actually making me think seriously about investing in Apple stock this year. I think the I-Phone will be a HUGE seller.)

Old 01-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

This happened to my sister-in-law and it is a complete voip when it does!
The dealer/seller should emphasize this to make sure you understand.
Good Luck!

Old 01-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

I believe this issue was resolved. My fob was reprogrammed about 8 months ago and I carry both in briefcase with no problems.