Learning the Hybrid Altima

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Learning the Hybrid Altima

If you were trying to keep it in EV mode then the charge power meter will go down until the engine kicks in and raises it up to the middle. Hovering in the middle is not unusual, however the NAh really likes to be driven like a normal car and the meter usually stays above the middle if you drive without thinking about the hybrid.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

I drove it today at lunch noticed the reduced regen on the brakes. That stinks.

In another post, I thought someone said that FE goes down when you drop below a half tank. Is that right?

Some of this stuff is counterintuitive. I would have thought FE might increase due to lower weight. Then I also thought regen would have been more efficient in stop-&-go traffic from using the brakes more often.

I'm glad I came here and asked these questions.

Last edited by stephen431; 07-09-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stephen431
I drove it today at lunch noticed the reduced regen on the brakes. That stinks.

In another post, I thought someone said that FE goes down when you drop below a half tank. Is that right?
Not that I've ever seen. My FE seems to be fairly consistent throughout the tank, if the driving pattern is the same.

I assume you saw reduced regen braking because of mid-day heat?

Some of this stuff is counterintuitive. I would have thought FE might increase due to lower weight. Then I also thought regen would have been more efficient in stop-&-go traffic from using the brakes more often.
Stop and go traffic is never kind to your fuel mileage; you never recover all of the braking energy. Long stops in hot weather (with the AC load) are even worse. Steady driving is better.

But hybrids suffer a lot less in stop and go driving than conventional cars, because they can recapture at least some of the braking energy, and because they don't waste gas on idling. So while heavy traffic won't help your absolute mileage numbers, it will actually give you a bigger relative advantage over a conventional car - because the conventional engine will do so much worse.

Which is why hybrid taxi cabs make so much sense.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Oh, and a word of explanation about sudden braking and its effect on regen:

When you have to stomp on the brakes, then the conventional friction brakes do most of the work (they're still the most effective way to stop a car quickly, short of running into a wall) - but that means a lot of energy is lost to friction (as heat). When you brake more slowly, the regen braking (using one of the electric motors as a generator) does most of the work, which not only recaptures some of that energy, but also saves wear and tear on the brake pads.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

I drove up to the Grand Canyon last weekend and there's about a 5-mile section with a very steep grade you have to climb.

Thats the one thing I don't like about the NAH and just flat out makes me want to have a button where I can tell it what to do :-) I have a long hill right before I get home and while climbing my battery stays at 3/4 full. Then in the morning I start going down, the baterry gets to 100% and the engine keeps running cuz the car is still too cold... total waste of energy :-(

Now what would be really smart is for hybrid vehicles with nav systems to take advantage of the GPS and your route and optimize the electric usage depending on the elevation changes of your route! Too bad I don't design these systems...

Old 07-10-2008, 01:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If you're curious about the magic >42 miles per hour number where the ICE needs to spin (at least on the Prius), see http://eahart.com/prius/psd/. You'll see why. I don't know the RPM limits on MG1 and MG2 in the NAH, but apparently the 42 miles per hour is also the magic number on the NAH.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anyone having done similar work as this guy on the NAH (http://www.vassfamily.net/ToyotaPrius/CAN/cindex.html and http://www.vassfamily.net/ToyotaPriu...omeasures.html). CAN-view (http://hybridinterfaces.ca/disppars.html) isn't listed at compatible w/NAH either. It'd be interesting to take readings and see what's really going on under the hood.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ILoveChess100
Thats the one thing I don't like about the NAH and just flat out makes me want to have a button where I can tell it what to do :-) I have a long hill right before I get home and while climbing my battery stays at 3/4 full. Then in the morning I start going down, the baterry gets to 100% and the engine keeps running cuz the car is still too cold... total waste of energy :-(

Now what would be really smart is for hybrid vehicles with nav systems to take advantage of the GPS and your route and optimize the electric usage depending on the elevation changes of your route! Too bad I don't design these systems...
I'm think an electric block heater is the solution to your morning issue.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cephraim
I'm think an electric block heater is the solution to your morning issue.
have a link to where you can purchase the block heater?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just ordered one of the Nissan engine block heaters that are pre-installed in Canadian Altimas. The part# is 110016P700, and the cord for it is part# 110016P700CS. Ordered it from a Canadian dealer who is shipping it to me. Total cost is $80CAN.

Installation, on the other-hand, was quoted by my dealer at $180 plus coolant. Ouch.

I got mine from TransCanada Nissan

Old 08-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

thanks for the info!

and i just found you on nissanclub

Last edited by langjie; 08-20-2008 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Learning the Hybrid Altima

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands