Learning the Hybrid Altima

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Learning the Hybrid Altima

Originally Posted by langjie
thanks for the info!

and i just found you on nissanclub
Yeah, most of the people over there are more concerned with beefing up horsepower and blinging their rides than fuel efficiency and staying green.

Eph

Old 08-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cephraim
Yeah, most of the people over there are more concerned with beefing up horsepower and blinging their rides than fuel efficiency and staying green.

Eph
I think in general, there aren't too many threads about the NAH. Even over here it gets pretty slow, but over at Nissanclub, it's non-existent.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cephraim
I'm think an electric block heater is the solution to your morning issue.
I wonder if the block heater makes a difference for the morning start-up. It is my understanding that it is the catalytic converter temperature, not the engine temperature, that prevents EV mode during the start-up phase. The little blue engine temperature light goes out long before the EV mode is available.

PS - Our mileage has gone up to 33+ since reducing our freeway speeds from 75 to 65 during the last 6 weeks. We are still impacted by all of the ups and downs we have to deal with during our daily commute. That is 66 person miles per gallon 3-4 days a week now that we are commuting together as much as possible instead of taking separate cars.
PSS - We have the frustration that our initial morning commute is downhill at 35 mph for 3 miles and we don't get don't get warmed up until the limit changes to 45.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Has anybody been able to order the Cordset that goes with the block heater I mentioned earlier in this thread? The dealer I ordered it from said it is on backorder with no ETA.

Thanks

Old 09-11-2008, 08:59 AM
sal
Enthusiast

I have herd about an electric switch in hybrids in europe that heep the car in elec. drive longer. Has anyone herd of this or know anything about it and is it avalable after market or any oter way? Sal.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tomscot2
I wonder if the block heater makes a difference for the morning start-up. It is my understanding that it is the catalytic converter temperature, not the engine temperature, that prevents EV mode during the start-up phase. The little blue engine temperature light goes out long before the EV mode is available.
I found this article over at PriusChat that talks about the different warm-up stages of the Prius. We all know our NAH system is similar. If I read this correctly (and I could use some help ), we wouldn't have EV Mode (Glide without arrows, I believe) until the coolant reaches 163.4F and traveling above 34mph). So, again, if I'm reading this correctly, getting your coolant heated more quickly is key! BTW, with my ScanGuage, I note that the blue temp light goes out at 130F.

Any other interpretations of this data?

Eph

Old 09-12-2008, 12:56 AM
ice
Active Enthusiast

Haven't handled an Altima yet. Good info I got here! Thanks guys!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Heard from "hobbit" over at CleanMPG who did a lot of the work on determining the Prius stages. He said that he had a chance to drive a NAH and found that most of the set points were "nearly identical" to what's posted in that file.

Now to study it and figure out what the hell it means!

Eph

Old 09-15-2008, 05:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

So, I studied the chart and the water temp gauge on my Scangauge a little more over the weekend. I discovered that, once you hit 163F, you can EITHER come to a stop to get into EV Mode, OR you can throw it in neutral for 3-5 seconds. This seems to simulate a stop in startup Mode 4.

So, if you don't have a convenient stop on your drive during warmup, try neutral.

Eph