Locked keys in car

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Locked keys in car

After much trepidation out of sheer embarassment, I decided to post my experience for the benefit of the forum. Leaving the gym this evening, I placed my keys in my bag and hurried to my NAH. I popped the trunk and without thinking, placed the bag (and keys) in the trunk and closed it. Instead of the car beeping at me (as it usually does to prevent accidental lock-in) it accepted the bag and locked me out. The trunk usually refuses to engage its lock if this situation occurs. This time, it failed to open and I was left stranded peering hopelessly into the cabin. I first wanted to know if this is a fluke thing or if other owners have experienced something similar.
With my new-found time waiting for my wife to save me with the spare, I figured out a solution to prevent future mishaps and thought I'd share. I took the spare valet key (not fob, just the key) and placed this in a magnetic hidden compartment carrier. I attached it to the metal framing underneath the vehicle. This time, if I do this again, I'll at least be able to gain access to the cabin (and ultimately the trunk) with the key and my wife can still hang onto the fob for additional access. Hope I save someone from future headaches.
Kind regards to everyone.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Locked keys in car

Given that my other car got broken into today (2 windows smashed, and car gutted from the inside out) my biased advice would be to not leave your key hanging around under the frame...

As for your trunk locking - yes it is possible and I experimented with that when I first got my NAH. If you have the key wrapped in layers of clothes that you just throw in the trunk, the fob will not always be picked up by the car. I know it's strange because (last I checked) radio signals are not supposed to be obstructed by clothing, but I have run into this same scenario :-)

Old 02-27-2008, 03:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

We were at the beach once and tried to lock my wife's purse in the trunk with her fob in it and the car wouldn't let us. I haven't tried tricking it.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My guess is that the keys where wraped with clothing that was "wet". So the signal was essentially blocked by moisture content in the bag. Just a guess. You did say, after the gym. Remember the movie Total Recall? Arnold had a wet towel around his head to block the signal from the implant in his head. ;-)

Old 03-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

If it happens again... you don't need to have someone bring you the key. They can hold their fob up next to a cell phone and click it over the phone. If you hold your phone next to the driver's door while they click... it will open.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marianne
If it happens again... you don't need to have someone bring you the key. They can hold their fob up next to a cell phone and click it over the phone. If you hold your phone next to the driver's door while they click... it will open.

Just make sure you have the newer revision fobs... :-))

BTW, I am pretty sure that cell phone thing is a myth... The voice is digitally encoded and thats what is transmitted to the cell towers - there is no way in the world that a fob frequency can enter into the transmission.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Enthusiast

I might be misunderstanding the concept of this cell phone thing, but if this were the case, then wouldn't anyone be able to access my car at any time with their own fob's?

Sarah~

Old 03-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

The cell phone idea would only work if the fob was transmitting an audio signal/tone. Listen to your fob for an audible tone, if yours is like mine you won't hear one because the fob sends a digital signal via radio frequency. The cell phone can only "hear" an audio tone.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tomscot2
The cell phone idea would only work if the fob was transmitting an audio signal/tone. Listen to your fob for an audible tone, if yours is like mine you won't hear one because the fob sends a digital signal via radio frequency. The cell phone can only "hear" an audio tone.
So this doesn't work with the NAH? I've only put this to the test with our Honda Pilot.. and it works with the pilot fob.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

So this doesn't work with the NAH? I've only put this to the test with our Honda Pilot.. and it works with the pilot fob.
Sorry but this is impossible. Your cell phone and FOB operate at different frequencies. No way to transmit the signal.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp

Quick Reply: Locked keys in car

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands