Low-rolling resistance tires to increase mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Low-rolling resistance tires to increase mpg?

I read a NAH review awhile back - can't for the life of me remember where - but it mentioned that the OEM tires were not low rolling resistance tires. The Continental ContiProContact isn't listed as a LRR tire on their website.

I can't understand why Nissan wouldn't offer a LRR tire except that fuel economy wasn't their main goal with the NAH as they only released it in the eight states they had to in order to meet emission standards. It was probably easier and cheaper just to offer the same tire they use on the non-hybrid.

They should have offered the ContiPremierContact which is listed as a LRR tire.

I've read that the Toyota Camry Hybrid edges out the NAH in fuel mileage but seeing how the TCH comes with LRR tires - Michelin® Energy™ MXV4® S8 - that probably could be the reason for the difference.

Last edited by lloyd123; 10-03-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Low-rolling resistance tires to increase mpg?

From my take on the NAH, it was specifically aimed at adapting the Prius (Toyota) hybrid technology to a great selling car to see how the market would react. Other than loosing the pass through rear seat, they did not alter the car in any way. Well except for the engine and drive train and one gage.

I think that we can modify these care to push this low EPA and actual mileage figure a lot higher. I do plan on a LRR tire at the first tire change.

I also feel that the engine gutting in at 38-40mph is just too soon. Here in the burbs, most roads are 35-45 mph so I do annoy a few folks when I am keeping it under 35 mph to stay in EV mode. Now I understand the ICE needs to come on to charge the battery when needed, but stay off until then!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What is the definition and metrics of an LRR tire? There is nothing that I'm aware of that shows that an LRR tire is truly an LRR tire. BTW, I have LRR tires on my car but they didn't do any better in FE than the OEM tires that came with the car. What did improve was the performance in the rain and the noise was reduced.

I bought the tires not knowing they were LRR, only found out because some website deemed them to be so.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:06 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SLP24
From my take on the NAH, it was specifically aimed at adapting the Prius (Toyota) hybrid technology to a great selling car to see how the market would react. Other than loosing the pass through rear seat, they did not alter the car in any way. Well except for the engine and drive train and one gage.

I think that we can modify these care to push this low EPA and actual mileage figure a lot higher. I do plan on a LRR tire at the first tire change.

I also feel that the engine gutting in at 38-40mph is just too soon. Here in the burbs, most roads are 35-45 miles per hour so I do annoy a few folks when I am keeping it under 35 miles per hour to stay in EV mode. Now I understand the ICE needs to come on to charge the battery when needed, but stay off until then!
if u in a long road or more than mile i'll not used EV. at least u should have avg. 40MPG if u at 43+MPH. u'll save the battery when u need to at low speed

Old 05-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Old Boomer Techie

Originally Posted by lloyd123
...I've read that the Toyota Camry Hybrid edges out the NAH in fuel mileage but seeing how the TCH comes with LRR tires - Michelin® Energy™ MXV4® S8 - that probably could be the reason for the difference.
The tires are probably a part of it. But I think the main difference is that the NAH has a slightly larger ICE. That would make it perform a little better, but at some cost to FE.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

[quote=lloyd123;173797]I read a NAH review awhile back - can't for the life of me remember where - but it mentioned that the OEM tires were not low rolling resistance tires.[quote]

I finally figured out where I read the review about the NAH not having LRR tires - Automobile.com.

http://car-reviews.automobile.com/Ni...road-test/5434

"Best of all is that the Altima Hybrid feels and drives like the regular Altima. The fact that both the Hybrid and the standard Altima wear the same regular Continental ContiPro tires, have CVT gearboxes, and feature oddly calibrated dual-pivot brake pedals means that some of the oddities new hybrid buyers might come across in a Camry or a Civic, aren't an issue with the Altima Hybrid. It also helps that the Altima is one of the best handling midsize sedans on the market, with its ultra-sharp speed sensitive steering and firm spring and damper setup. It corners with little roll, and because it features conventional tires rather than those of the low-rolling resistance variety, it has more grip too."

Although it doesn't reflect well on Automobile.com that they think the NAH has the same CVT transmission as the non-hybrid.