Maintenance schedule?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast
Default Maintenance schedule?

The NAH is my first new car, and I'm wondering about the maintenance schedule. It's been about one year since I've had it, and the last time I took my car to the dealer for an oil change, the service guy was really pushing the 12,000 mile service. I'm looking at the coupon and for a mere couple hundred bucks (I don't remember the exact amount), they do an oil change, air filter, maybe rotate your tires, and then a bunch of inspections. It seems just like a glorified oil change trying to drum up business and not even specifically geared toward the NAH. I don't have the coupon in front of me but I'm sure you've all seen them in that junkmail you get from the Nissan dealers. You know, 6k, 12K, 30K service.

Is the one year service worth the cost or even really necessary?

I'm changing my oil regularly and paying attention to the condition of my car. No problems so far. With my other used cars that I've bought, I've never adhered to the scheduled maintenance coupons that I get in the mail. But it's first new car so I'm not sure how necessary these scheduled maintenance calls are.

I'm curious to see what you guys think. Thanks.

-- Jimmy

Old 06-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Hybrid Lover
Default Re: Maintenance schedule?

I have the TCH but I see no reason for all the extras. Oil change, tire rotation and an occasional air filter. My local Toyota dealer's Quick Lane charged my $33.xx for an oil change and tire rotation. I don't plan on spending more than that at any time unless it is a maintenance item (brakes, tires, filter, etc.). I don't see what else there is to check, really. I think a lot of dealer's have learned that a lot of customers see the options as being least, better and best. People want the "best" and so they go with that option without really looking at everything included, etc. Just my opinion. The bes advice: follow the maintenance schedule from Nissan. Period.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:25 AM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Maintenance schedule?

You should do at least some of the suggested maintenance. You want to make sure your doing your best to hold the value of your new car. You should also keep a detailed log to show the next buyer when your ready to move to a newer car.

I'm building a website that will let car owners track their car's maintenance online and receive reminder emails when it's time for scheduled maintenance. It will also have some social aspects so you can see what sort of maintenance other people with the same car as you are doing.

I'm looking for folks to offer their thoughts & ideas, as well as provide feedback once the site is ready for testing. If you're interested, please sign up here: bit.ly/fivbYv (be sure to type in the regular "http" first... it won't let me post a link here)

Old 06-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

I was once an avid believer that changing the oil (and filter) every 3000 miles will prevent many issues. Its not so much that the oil is worn out out at that point, but tat it gives someone a chance to do a visual inspection of teh car when servicing it. That said, I use synthetic these days to meet the 0-20w recommendation and I have stretched my interval to between 7500-10,000 miles. BUT I still rotate my tires every 5-7.5k, and stay alert at changes in the way the car drives. (yet even then I did not realise my rear shocks were going...until i rotated my tires at 5000 miles)

I will do the major services at 30/60/90k at a dealer or trusted mechanic, but the rest I do myself when possible.

In short, paying attention is most important, and if changing oil more often is the only way to to that so be it, but I am trying not to waste perfectly good motor oil either and striking a balance bewteen that and keeping the car running at tip top condition is key.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jimmy
The NAH is my first new car, and I'm wondering about the maintenance schedule. It's been about one year since I've had it, and the last time I took my car to the dealer for an oil change, the service guy was really pushing the 12,000 mile service. I'm looking at the coupon and for a mere couple hundred bucks (I don't remember the exact amount), they do an oil change, air filter, maybe rotate your tires, and then a bunch of inspections. It seems just like a glorified oil change trying to drum up business and not even specifically geared toward the NAH. I don't have the coupon in front of me but I'm sure you've all seen them in that junkmail you get from the Nissan dealers. You know, 6k, 12K, 30K service.

Is the one year service worth the cost or even really necessary?

I'm changing my oil regularly and paying attention to the condition of my car. No problems so far. With my other used cars that I've bought, I've never adhered to the scheduled maintenance coupons that I get in the mail. But it's first new car so I'm not sure how necessary these scheduled maintenance calls are.

I'm curious to see what you guys think. Thanks.

-- Jimmy
Anyway they are providing free service. You no need to pay a penny except for changing the oil. I don't think it matters a lot if you go for servicing the car. Have a nice ride.