Maximum High Voltage Battery Status Reading

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Maximum High Voltage Battery Status Reading

Hi Everyone,

I just got my NAH a week ago, and was wondering if the High Voltage Battery Meter is EVER supposed to read full. Mine NEVER gets above two-thirds full.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Maximum High Voltage Battery Status Reading

Mine has almost reached full but not quite. If you research, you will see that the system tries to keep the battery between 40% and 80%. That is to protect the batter and give it a long life like that taxi driver in Canada experienced with 350,00 miles on his Toyota.

Others here who have had it longer can probably explain in even greater detail the reasoning.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hello and Welcome,

When driving normally, the NAH system is designed to have the charge meter hover in the upper third range.

The meter does not show full charge or empty as ether extreme would damage the life of the battery.

A common misconception is that if one motor is running the other is not. Most of the time both are running except for stop, EV mode, or when the charge is low. This is why it stays in the upper third. Energy is constantly going in and out.

On a long down grade or after a long period of coasting with light breaking, you could see the meter hit the top, but I have only seen this happen 4 or 5 times in 12,000 miles.

I have also seen it empty. When this happens the engine comes on until it's back in the upper third. This happens a lot in NJ traffic jams.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the welcome, and the shared experiences.

I was wondering, because it seems like its hard to stay in EV Mode, and I thought if the battery had more juice, that might help. On the other hand, the best mileage I've achieved (39) has been on the warmest day, which was the first full day I had the car. It has been pretty cold here in Central MA. It takes quite a while to warm up and go into EV Mode, and by then I've pretty much made it to the highway on my daily commute. Even so, when I get off the highway, it doesn't get into EV Mode very easily, or stay there very long.

So, I suspect the cold has something to do with why I have been at around 36.4 ever since, but maybe that is all that I should expect.

Anyway, thanks again.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ian33

On a long down grade or after a long period of coasting with light breaking, you could see the meter hit the top, but I have only seen this happen 4 or 5 times in 12,000 miles.
I have had the same experience. It only hits full when coasting and braking down long steep grades.