Nah Test Data

Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Insipid Enthusiast
Default Nah Test Data

I felt compelled to make this post after seeing some of the numbers other NAH drivers are achieving. It is particularly disturbing that some of the numbers are actually achievable in a non hybrid 6 cyl. vehicle. On the plus side, the less appealing a hybrid vehicle mpg looks the least amount of sales will occur and the longer the Fed rebate will exist (I think).
Anyhow here are the test specs, the non-variables are Temp. 21F, tire psi 40, warm engine, and cruise control.
The vehicle was accelerated to the test speeds 45-55-60-65 the cruise control was applied, odometer and mpg were reset each time. Due to those speeds, EV was not used. Last test was, 30 miles per hour in EV mode for ½ mile using cruise control and 3.3 miles in city, stop and go, EV and ICE mixed, no cruise control. I chose to back up the data with photos, which I am posting if I am able to. Some variables include wind direction, only one test was performed for each speed and in one direction, which will null this as a scientific test however it does give a general idea of the numbers and they coincide with the usual numbers I am achieving.

Test1
45MPH, w/CC achieved (41.1 mpg)

Test2
55MPH, w/CC achieved (40.6 mpg)

Test3
60MPH, w/CC achieved (36.6 mpg)

Test4
65MPH, w/CC achieved (31.5 mpg)

Test5
31MPH, w/CC in All EV Mode Achieved (99.9 mpg “max gauge capability”)

Test6
0-25MPH, no CC, stop and go 3.3 miles EV and ICE mix (63.9 mpg)

I do concede that these numbers are not as good as a HCH or Prius or Insight but my feeling is that a vehicle that can achieve 40MPG at 55 MPH is decent. I also admit that driving over 60MPH all the time will get you in the not so economic mode. . Hope this post provides some enlightenment and inspires some of us to drive more conservatively. I know the oil tycoons here in the US and the Oil sheiks of the middle east don’t want to here the word conservatively but this may be the way of the future,,, if not a necessity.

OK Could not figure out how to post pics, here is the site with the photos of the test results. http://www.thespoils.8m.com/

Last edited by TheSpoils; 01-04-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nah Test Data

Thanks for this information.

I only track milage at fill-ups, but I'm able to average between 34 and 37 MPG.

I have owned two normal Honda Civics, nether could match the NAH MPG numbers in real-world (New Jersey) driving nor could they match the HP, comfort or reliability.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:50 AM
Insipid Enthusiast

The tests were performed on Rt 18 and the ev / city tests were done on Rt 9 in old bridge. Since then I am getting the feeling that the results were on the conservative side. My gps unit displayed a considerable variation in altitude, which is leading me to believe that the road (Rt18) may have been to changeable in regards to hills. I may try the test again on a different road.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Hybrid Enthusast

Very interesting Spoils. These numbers aren't too bad for 21 degrees and winter blend gas. If you do another test, can you take a reading at 70 too?

Old 01-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSpoils
I felt compelled to make this post after seeing some of the numbers other NAH drivers are achieving. It is particularly disturbing that some of the numbers are actually achievable in a non hybrid 6 cyl. vehicle.
I think your figures are in line with my own experience, but remember that individual driving patterns have a *big* impact on the mileage, and that may explain a lot of the variation seen in the mileage database.

For example, I can reliably achieve 45mpg on 30+ mile suburban trips (avg. speed 40mph), and 35-37mpg on long highway trips (avg. speed 70mph) - but my daily commute is about 6 miles each way (not enough to warm up the engine the whole way, in winter) and I only get 37-38mpg (32-33 in winter) on that route. So if my commute makes up the majority of my driving on any particular database entry, my mileage usually suffers (especially in winter).

For reference, my last car (with a 2.5L V6) averaged 22mpg under the same driving patterns. By comparison, 32-38mpg looks really good.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Insipid Enthusiast

No doubt 32-38 are respectable numbers. I was referring more to the last few entries. I do not beleive that those figures represent a hybrid vehicle.
I will also be doing some higher speed testing, but i would like to have a roadway that i can test in both directions just in case (wind direction, elevation etc...)
If you have not had a chance, visit the website i linked in my original post. Man my car is dusty.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't understand how those mid-20s numbers could be right either, because the only time I've gotten numbers that low is on short drives when the temps are in the single digits. But I'll give the posters the benefit of the doubt; there may be some combination of driving conditions that could consistently do that poorly. Or they might have a mechanical problem.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

TheSpoils,

You and I must be close. My wife's daily commute is Rt 130, Rt 1 and Rt 18. I was on Rt 9 today. We have not been able to beat 37 MPG on a full tank of gas and have only averaged 34 in the winter.

I believe Gripper's numbers are accurate, but I also know he was reporting very short trips in very intensive Arizona heat.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

I admit, my driving circumstances are ideal for optimizing mileage. I have back road farmland and highway segments to and from work. And you know Rt9 during rush hour averages about 40MPH so I overuse EV for that segment, then jump onto 18S to recharge and them some more EV on RT 34 past the military base. If you ever see someone driving slow and a bunch of angry commuters beeping, you will find me up ahead. No seriously, i do drive slower than the speed limit but i stay to the right. It would be interesting to have Gripper's vehicle here in NJ to test or us out there to test his situation. I tried to really get bad mileage a few tanks back, i was racing on the gsp and 18, went as low as 35mpg but i was able to nudge it back to 39-40 within about 100 miles. By the way, the member who posted in the mileage database for nah does not have a hybrid, the car info states it is a 1997 altima, way before it was available as a hybrid.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

MPG testing with summer blend fuel and warm temps coming soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nah Test Data

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands