NAH wins over TCH & SAH in Nov. "Motor Trend"

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:26 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default NAH wins over TCH & SAH in Nov. "Motor Trend"

You think it's hard to find an Altima hybrid now? Wait 'til the word gets out on this article in the November issue of "Motor Trend."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...idsize_sedans/

Old 10-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NAH wins over TCH & SAH in Nov. "Motor Trend"

They liked the power and sportier handling of the Altima - that and the tax credit (over $2k).

Altima's aren't available in MN which made my decision easier. However, the non-Toyota components are still subject to Nissan's reliability. See USAToday's recent reliability findings (Toyota is 38% more reliable than average, Nissan is 1% more reliable than average - the same as Chrysler):

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...r_N.htm?csp=34

Though, it is something that the MotorTrend Car of the Year (Camry) in a hybrid version is beat out by the Nissan Altima Hybrid. No doubt - had they been available here I would have taken one for a test drive (at least!).

Good Luck!

Scott

Old 10-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

As I recall from the last Consumer Reports auto issue, Nissan's overall rating was dragged down by problems on two specific models from a specific factory. The Altima was not one of those models, and in fact has done quite well (at least the recent versions).

Careful with the generalizations, there.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

And Toyota's was dragged down by the V6 version of the Camry - it's probably close to a wash.

I like the Altimas - I would have considered one if they were sold here.

Scott

Old 10-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Motor Trend is useless. Their reporting is very subjective and rarely based on hard data. I would rate Consumer's Reports, Car and Driver, and Road & Track's opinions more highly. On the other hand, Motor Trend has spent more coverage on hybrids than the others, so I suppose that's good - just don't read too much into what they say.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

I can't really argue with you, but calling "Motor Trend" USELESS is a bit much. Their article is well written and substantiated by extensive testing.

After reading the "Four Seasons" review of the Camry Hybrid in the Nov. issue of "Automobile," you can pretty much FUGGEDABOUTIT.

If you're looking for a hybrid in that vehicle size group, the Altima is the way to go.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Road & Track... these all rely on the largess of the auto manufacturers (how do you think they get those cars to test?). Don't expect any hard-hitting reviews. CU buys everything they test, which makes a big difference.

All ratings need to be scrutinized since the criteria and the weighing of each criterion is subjective. They (CU or otherwise) aren't necessarily looking for the same things as you are. For instance, the enthusiast magazines tend to weigh performance more heavily than other factors. If you spend your driving time stuck in traffic you may be more concerned with comfortable seats and the sound system. Speaking of which, I notice CNET is more concerned with the electronics in the car. If you are deaf and don't care about gadgets, you might as well forget their reviews.

I've found (outside of Consumers Reports) Edmunds pretty good for reviews. Customer reviews on Edmunds, CNET, etc are useful but far from scientifically accurate.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Regardless of magazine credibility, the MT review matches my personal experience with the Camry and Altima Hybrids. MT got it right.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Enthusiast deluxe

As the article indicates, the NAH was harldy a "slam dunk" win over the TCH. Remove the tax credit, and the review would have been different. As with any automobile magazine, it is an opinion. Motor trend loved the Volvo S40, which, after 14 months of ownership, I found to be the biggest peice of junk on earth.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:53 PM
aha
Active Enthusiast

I haven't driven NAH or TCH, but for those who have compared before - do you notice TCH HP/TQ advantage over NAH ? NAH demand is not very strong in here, everyone prefers Prius or TCH as always. I personally think MT,C&D reviews are good for guidelines, each individual has his/her personal taste for the ultimate decision.

Quick Reply: NAH wins over TCH & SAH in Nov. "Motor Trend"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands