New hybrid owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default New hybrid owner

Hi there -- just bought a 09 Altima hybrid with 42k miles. It is now day 3 -- I can say that I love it!! It is definitely a different drive from my BMW x3 SUV that I traded in, so I have some questions, and I am hoping that you will forgive my ignorance -- figured the best place is on this forum for answers.

1. At a stop light, when taking off, I am in EV mode and the acceleration seems very slow, seems like it is stuttering a slight bit -- is this normal?
2. When it moves for electric to gas, it is not as smooth as I would have expected. Granted, it is not jerky, but I can feel it -- is this normal?

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 07-25-2011, 03:20 PM
hlv
Enthusiast
Default Re: New hybrid owner

Glad you enjoy your car! Re your questions:

1. The initial acceleration will be in EV mode but under typical pedal pressure it should switch to gas mode without much hesitation. You have to be really light on the pedal to continue accelerating in EV mode.

2. Yes the transition from electric to gas is not very smooth in the NAH compared to other hybrids. But I found it more fun to drive with better acceleration than the others (Prius, Camry, Civic, Fusion).

Harry

Old 07-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New hybrid owner

Originally Posted by meekasmom

1. At a stop light, when taking off, I am in EV mode and the acceleration seems very slow, seems like it is stuttering a slight bit -- is this normal?
2. When it moves for electric to gas, it is not as smooth as I would have expected. Granted, it is not jerky, but I can feel it -- is this normal?

Thanks in advance!!!
1. Yes it is normal. I have found that the only time I try to stay in EV mode from a dead stop is if I am on 25 mph street with not far to go. Otherwise I get to the speed limit soon and then let up. If you are under 40 mph you get more from the battery that way.

2. Normal.

Enjoy.