No regen braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: No regen braking

So has anyone else had this problem? I've had it a few times this summer, but the temp is only 90-95. I try to park in the shade when I can to help, but it seems unavoidable the charging will all but shut off at times. I'm thinking of installing a small fan of sorts to help with cooling when needed.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have also thought of installing a fan. But this summer in New England hasn't been that hot and I only lost partial regen a few times. Now that the temps have cooled, I put it on the back burner. But I do plan on removing the panel in the trunk (I already partially removed it once) and measure the duct work to fit a quiet 12V pancake fan in place. I might even run it off a temperature sensitive diode. I've done this in the past on some remote radio equipment I own (a repeater site) and it works quite well. A 12V source is readily available in the trunk since the battery resides there.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steved28
I have also thought of installing a fan. But this summer in New England hasn't been that hot and I only lost partial regen a few times. Now that the temps have cooled, I put it on the back burner. But I do plan on removing the panel in the trunk (I already partially removed it once) and measure the duct work to fit a quiet 12V pancake fan in place. I might even run it off a temperature sensitive diode. I've done this in the past on some remote radio equipment I own (a repeater site) and it works quite well. A 12V source is readily available in the trunk since the battery resides there.
wonder is easy or hard to removed the panel in the trunk coz i want to change the speaker... thx

Old 09-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

It's very easy to remove the panels. There are black round push pins which hold it in place. Carefully (with small pliers or a small flat head screwdriver) pull out the center of the pin, not entirely, just about 1/4" or so. That will allow the entire clip to come out easily. When re-assembling, push them back into the holes in the sheet metal, then push the center to lock them in place. Sometimes when putting them back, they may require a little rap with a small hammer or rubber mallet to lock them back in place.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Would be great to figure out how to put a battery WARMER in there, too, for those cold mornings. The chart I linked to in the other thread indicates that you can't get to EV Mode if the battery temp is below 32F. Maybe some type of warming blanket?

Old 09-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

yes, it happens to me as well, usually when temperatures are 90+, sometimes even lower (but only after I've been driving for awhile).

I find that when you use A/C during those really hot days, you will be able to charge more and longer than without A/C. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the battery vents in the back seat.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's happened to me often here when it's over about 95. I had a service tech mention there are temperature sensors in the battery system.

It also seems to scale based on the temperature. I'll gain partial regen as it cools and eventually get full regen back if the outside temperature is below 100 degrees and the interior can cool down enough.

If it's over 100 degrees outside, it doesn't seem to matter about the interior compartment temperature. I won't get full regen on those days. Just partial.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Hey all, just a note from my pov, don't use recirculate, it will not increase cabin pressure and push air to the battery compartment as it should. Also, I don't want to reveal all my secrets, but you guys have helped me in the past, you can add a 12v DC fan to the rear deck vent and power it with a small solar cell, (the trickle chargers) this will also work in the winter when you want to warm the battery compartment from the cabin. Good luck.

Last edited by TheSpoils; 09-17-2008 at 07:08 PM. Reason: brain freeze
Old 09-17-2008, 05:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSpoils
Also, I don't want to reveal all my secrets, but you guys have helped me in the past, you can add a 12v DC fan to the rear deck vent and power it with a small solar cell, (the trickle chargers) this will also work in the winter when you want to warm the battery compartment from the cabin. Good luck.
Brilliant!
Are you aware of any heaters that have built in solar cells?

Old 09-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

I have not seen any solar powered heaters. And I agree with your line of thought, batteries prefer warm temps as opposed to cold temps. From my years of experience, all my past jump starts occurred in the winter. As a side note on the regen issue, when my regen stops working because of too much heat, I turn the ac on (without recirculate) and point the two center air outlets directly up and straight back. The regen begins to function properly withing 5 minutes.

Quick Reply: No regen braking

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands