Question on aux port

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Question on aux port

Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone is using the aux port to hook up their ipod. I tried mine, but the all I could hear is a faint sound. The songs sounded as if they are being played in a careooke mode. Am I using the wrong wire to connect the ipod or this is the expected behaviour ?

Any pointers will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Question on aux port

I've connected a Garmin GPS to the aux port with no problems. I use it for navigation prompts, bluetooth phone and the mp3 player. I don't believe there are any settings for this that can be accessed with the radio controls. You might try a different cable.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've used the aux port on my mom's NAH w/iPods and it works. However, hers has an intermittent bad jack (have tried other cables, used known good cables and swapping cable ends). Sometimes, the right side auto will be faint or crackly or all audio is warbly. If you push on the connector or remove and reinsert, it usually "fixes" things.

Murphy's law is that the problem doesn't repro for me when I brought the car in for maintenance for her and my mom's tech averse (she has no idea how to describe the problem so she refuses even attempt to report it if there's a prob ).

Try another cable, esp. one you can test in something else. Also, you'll want the iPod's volume about 3/4 of the way up, if not higher. If it's still a problem, you could have a dud stereo.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Enthusiast

Where is everyone getting the adapter cord? Dealer said Radio Shack, I just found this searching online it seems to fully integrate with audio system, but not available for Nissan as of yet, figures.

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/aux_adapters/index.html

Old 07-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

This is the cable I use to connect my Garmin GPS - $5.49 at Radio Shack. I have it pretty close to the console so I didn't want a lot of extra cord.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102970

Old 07-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

All you need is a standard 3.5 mm male to male cable. The 3.5 mm size is what you find on all portable music players and standard headphones for ages.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all your inputs....I'm hoping that changing the cable will do the trick, will get the one from radioshack and give it a shot.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast

I turn the iPod volume up to about 3/4. Anything, more and it starts sounding distorted. At that volume I still need to turn the volume on the radio up 4-5 clicks to get the same speaker level I get if playing the same album on CD. I had the same situation in my Volkswagen though, so I don"t think its just the Altima.