SF Bay Area mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Enthusiast
Default SF Bay Area mileage?

Anyone own a Nissan Altima Hybrid and use it primarily in the Bay Area? If so, what sort of gas mileage are you experiencing?

It seems like temperature, traffic, and hills will all affect overall mileage, so I'm curious what the experience is in our area.

It would be a nice addition to this site to be able to filter the reported gas mileage for all the cars by a given radius around a ZIP code (or some other location selection). It's seems like everyone would be benefit from being able to see mileage for the specific area that they live in.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:56 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: SF Bay Area mileage?

Originally Posted by thehorsts
It would be a nice addition to this site to be able to filter the reported gas mileage for all the cars by a given radius around a ZIP code (or some other location selection). It's seems like everyone would be benefit from being able to see mileage for the specific area that they live in.
I think a lot more car samples are required to do something like that... It seems like we (NAH owners) are pretty sparsely spread out so it would be only a handful of cars per zip + radius.

As for your question on mileage, on my trip to SF I averaged 39.2mpg (computer readout), then in the city it dropped to 38.1 over about 50 miles or so. Based on that I would estimate that if I drove in SF all the time I would be getting around 35 on the computer readout, which is around 33mpg at the pump. The weather was quite warm when I went there, so I assume when the cold hits I can prb get around 30ish mpg (at the pump)...

Old 04-22-2008, 04:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

San Francisco was one of the fleet testing grounds for the FEH in taxi's. Perhaps there is some data floating around. The last article I read stated that the taxi drivers were extremely pleased with the hybrids. Also that the cars were holding up very well.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I go from San Jose via 85 and 280 to Palo Alto. I only get about 35-36 mpg. I have 3 slowdowns going and variable on return trip. I can usually go about 720 miles on a tank, but have never figured out where the "bottom" of the gauge is :-( , yet :-)

Old 07-04-2009, 12:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I have managed to get some really decent mileages out of my NAH. I just finished one tank this morning that went 880 miles, fillup to fillup. Mpgs on it calc to be 39.1 and computer said 41.8. Now if I can try to get the 41.8 consistently during commute, I might be able to go past that, because can pull the avg backup to there from 41.3.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm still breaking it in and so far I've been getting about 33 mpg calculated by hand. The majority of the driving has been in SF and the average speed under 20MPH and the trips about 15 minutes or so. Thanks to hehe for pointing out I have a computer in the car. I wouldn't know the average speed without it.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, most of my driving is freeway and on my commute, I find that I seem to get better mileage on it rather than short around town trips. Because you are using short around town trips, you may want to learn the pulse and glide technique as it seems to be good for those type of trips.
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showt...358#post186358
It has taken me some time to learn how to drive my commute for best mileage.
To help learn the car you may want to reset the mileage computer for every trip (this is the one that also shows instantaneous milage).

I may start doing that to see if it can help me increase my mileage further.

Last edited by ibmsorcerer; 07-04-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

thanks for the link. I'll see if I can improve my gas mileage. I do a lot of gliding in the city but on the freeway I drive it like a regular car. I need to work on braking though.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ibmsorcerer
I go from San Jose via 85 and 280 to Palo Alto. I only get about 35-36 mpg. I have 3 slowdowns going and variable on return trip. I can usually go about 720 miles on a tank, but have never figured out where the "bottom" of the gauge is :-( , yet :-)
the tank is empty when the needle is just below the last tick mark, like the top of the needle is touching the bottom of the tick mark (I wouldn't recommend confirming this)

Old 08-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Gas Mileage update:

I drove 313 miles I was able to fill it up with 8 gallons of gas after trying to top it off three times. I thought I didn't put enough in and after I drove 52 miles I filled it again and topped it off three times and put in 1.3 gallons. I would say my driving was about 70 highway and 30 percent city driving. Part of the 313 miles was a trip was from Daly City, Ca to Stockton, CA and back. The 52 mile journey was about 50 50 highway city driving. I am not really hypermiling but I did keep my speeds around 65-70 mph and I ran the air conditioner about half of the time. I am glad it blows cold air! The funny thing is that the computer states my mpg is 33 but my hand calculation stated 39 mpg. The needle is above the full mark and I did reset it before I embarked on the 313 mile journey.

Last edited by mean-boy; 08-04-2009 at 01:00 AM.

Quick Reply: SF Bay Area mileage?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands