snow performance

Old 11-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default snow performance

Hi all. Any of you had any experience in the snow with your nah. I am being told the tires are the main culprit (continental). I am curious if anyone went to snows or anything else- Thanks, Andy

Old 11-02-2008, 05:29 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: snow performance

Last winter I put on four Blizzak snow tires. Between the tires and the NAH traction control it was just about unstoppable.

We had a huge snow storm in MA last Dec where everything came to a standstill but my NAH could start moving on packed ice and snow going uphill from a dead stop. The problem was all the other cars that couldn't.

Last edited by lloyd123; 11-02-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had no particular problems with winter driving in MA last year, even though I left the stock tires on my NAH. Traction control and ABS worked great.

I didn't really push my luck though - I tend not to drive in the really bad weather.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

I guess this is just another benefit of hypermiling!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mine are pretty bad... Even in light rain the car feels like its on skis, not on tires. I can't imagine taking it anywhere near ice and thankfully I don't have to worry about that in CA.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

my only gripe is when the car is in EV mode and you're trying to rock the car out of snow. the EV mode makes the car feel unresponsive...it's a weird feeling. does anyone know if I step on the gas hard, would the engine go out of EV w/o jerking too bad?

Old 11-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Danny, not sure because I never tried it, but mashing the accelerator should not be much different in EV or ICE because the EV motors have more torque (346 FT lbs ?)than the ice. Again, theoretically speaking.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 AM
Hybrid Enthusast

My dad got stuck today going up our driveway. The car started spinning the wheels and then he slid DOWN the hill toward my car parked at the bottom. I'm not exactly sure what happened next but I had to go out and help him get the car away from the house brick wall. There's a nice scrape on the quarter panel now... He had me drive while he and my brother pushed. It spun all the way up, and before I realized it, the pedal was on the floor. This is one situation where a VDC off button would have been handy since the car was hardly revving. I think the Continentals need to go.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Later today, I am going to have Goodyear Ultra Grip GW3 snows put on all four wheels. I have read very good things about them. Not cheap, and I'm sure they'll impact my fuel economy a little due to increased rolling resistance. But, safety comes first.

They're not cheap, and are hard to find, but they got great reviews:

Goodyear site

Tire Rack Review

Old 01-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Eph, how are the ultra grips doing? Any change in the dry traction/handling?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: snow performance

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands